Can the Epic 4G be unlocked?

Last Updated:

1. Nuxtux

Nuxtux Member This Topic's Starter

Would like to know if this phone can be unlocked? As I want to use it on a rogers wireless network. It uses CDMA from what I read online not 100% sure on this but would love to use this phone, most androids sold in Canada are dumb android phones

Advertisement
  2. Android XTC

Android XTC Banned

Im sure it can be if its Rooted.

3. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

No

4. MILcityBOI

MILcityBOI Well-Known Member

If Rodgers can flash it for you to add it to their system then yes, it can. I know nothing about Rodgers to know if they will do it but I know that there are other CDMA carriers here in the U.S. that will flash another networks phone. It doesn't have to be rooted either.

5. daddyd302

daddyd302 Well-Known Member

I read somewhere, maybe in the Sprint section, that someone brought his Epic to Criket. I also think he said his messaging didn't work and of course he can't use 4G. You may not have to root it, but even if Rodgers will activate it, it may not work properly.

6. Bitbang3r

Bitbang3r Well-Known Member

Temporarily side-stepping the unlocking issue, an American CDMA phone on Rogers would be forever limited to 1xRTT data, which basically means 80kbit-160kbit/sec transfers, because Rogers and Telus decided to switch to UMTS for 3G instead of EVDO. In other words, you wouldn't just lack 4G... you wouldn't have 3G anywhere in Canada, either (Manitoba or Saskatchewan might be the oddball exception).

IMHO, if you live in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver, or anywhere urban in Alberta (which seems to have shockingly good UMTS coverage, even in semi-rural areas), you'd be better off with an I9000, an unlocked/reflashed Vibrant or Captivate, or (if Samsung ever releases it) the Galaxy 9000 S Pro (which basically WOULD be an Epic, but GSM/UMTS and without WiMax). Frankly, it DOES kind of surprise me that they haven't released the last one yet.

As I understand it, Canadian UMTS isn't quite 100% identical to international UMTS, but it's close enough for most phones made for international frequencies to work. Normal international UMTS uses 1900MHz for uplink and 2100MHz for downlink. Apparently, Canadian phones use 1900MHz for both uplink AND downlink, which wasn't part of the original standard, but was internationally-blessed a couple of years ago and should now work on most/all new phones. Complicating matters, a phone that can do ONLY 1900/2100 won't be able to roam on 3G at all in the US, but apparently the hardware in Samsung's 3 GSM/UMTS phones can handle all UMTS bands used in the US, Canada, and elsewhere (but the Captivate and Vibrant have to be hacked to enable use the bands of their brand's competitor). Thickening the plot more, I read somewhere that T-Mobile does (or is planning to, or trying to) allow international UMTS phones that do only 1900/2100 (instead of T-Mo's 1700/2100) to use 2100MHz for both uplink and downlink.