Can the EVO 4G be used without Sprint service (not activated on a line)?

Last Updated:

1. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well I've been really excited bout the EVO since March and my EVO should be coming in tomorrow but all my excitement has been destroyed after I found out that Sprint isn't offering $10 off a month for 24 months for renewing contracts, even for customers like me with a SERO account. That's $240 i could save. I was all ready to call into Sprint to activate this phone on my line but now I'm thinking i'm going to wait it out. I got the EVO for $430 (after bing cashback from wirefly) so i think that's a good price so i'm going to hold onto it for about a month and keep calling Sprint to see if they'll offer the 10/24 deal after the iphone4 has been released. I'd like to use the EVO during that time without service, over wifi if i can. I don't want to just let it sit there unopened tempting me everyday lol. I might sell it but I don't think i'll ever get a deal like $430 for a new one anytime soon that's why.

Advertisement
  2. Fonseca

Fonseca Well-Known Member

You can just use it over WiFi if you really want to.

tracerit likes this.
  3. bnaegele

bnaegele Member

You cannot keep your SERO account with the EVO. They will upgrade you to the EPRP plan but it's $59.99/mo. + the $10 4g fee.

4. tracerit

cool, i'll be using it over wifi, it's just that with the older GSM phones i had, it required a SIM card.

yeah i'm aware i can not use SERO with the EVO :( If i do switch to a compatible plan im going to go with the regular $69.99 + $10 evo tax and then apply my 23% corp discount.

5. ERBSIX

ERBSIX New Member

6. tracerit

Yeah its possible. I used my evo strictly with WiFi for the first three weeks and held into my touch pro 2 as a phone. Unfortunately I couldn't use the touch pro 2 to WiFi tether and connect my evo though.