Can the EVO update automatically without asking you?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by paradox183, Jun 29, 2010.

1. paradox183

paradox183 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I've been mentally replaying the sequence of events yesterday trying to figure out why my EVO bricked on the FIRST update attempt.

I unplugged at around 7:45am when I went to work, and I didn't use my phone much, either for voice or data. Too busy with other stuff. Wifi, 4G, Bluetooth, and GPS all turned off. At about 2pm I hear a series of beeps coming from my pocket. Pull the phone out and the battery is already at 10%. WTF? Normally I'm at at least 50% at this point in the day even with moderate voice and data usage.

So after I saw the battery low notification, I unlocked the phone and that's when I see the message for the update. With the low battery, I told it to wait for wifi/4G and put it back to sleep. The battery finally croaked around 4pm. When I got home, I plugged the phone in, turned it on and let it charge a while, and then I turned the wifi on, downloaded the update, and let it install. And then all hell broke loose.

I was wondering - is it possible that my EVO updated itself during the day without me knowing, meaning that the update I told it to get last night was actually the fateful second update attempt? That might explain the battery drain throughout the day. If the phone was rebooting at various points I thought I would hear the Sprint/4G splash screen coming from my pocket, but I was also in some loud areas at various points during the day.

Advertisement

Tags: