can the galaxy tab do text messages?Support

1. golu14

golu14 Active Member

can it send and receive text messages and RECEIVE calls?

Advertisement
    :
    dogsdocwhite likes this.
  2. burley1

burley1 Member

Texting yes, calls no. I am sure someone will find the way.
  3. Tech Addiction

Tech Addiction Well-Known Member

The T-Mobile version can do calls. It requires you to Root the device and then install a custom Rom. XDA developers already have it working. You can even use an AT&T sim card. Only caveat is no 3g. Only edge so far. They are working on it though.
  4. golu14

golu14 Active Member

im in india and the unbranded version sold here can do calls, so it can make calls but it cannot receive calls? and you can do texting BOTH WAYS right?
  5. Tech Addiction

Yes, texting both ways and with the above Root and Rom mentioned, you can make and receive calls.

Edit: I verified the two way text just to make sure and yes it sends and receives text. Very nice app in landscape but in portrait the text box is too small.
  6. AndroidTabletFan

AndroidTabletFan Well-Known Member

With Skype and Google voice you can make and receive calls on the tablet. Texts too. Works great!
  7. Tech Addiction

Is Google voice open to everyone now? What are the restriction to the type of calls you can make?
  8. ConceptVBS

ConceptVBS Well-Known Member

Yes open to everyone.
    Tech Addiction likes this.
  9. raqball

raqball Well-Known Member

I have been using Google Voice and Skype to make and receive calls in both 3G and WiFi since the day the Tab came out...

I am also using Google Voice for texts...

I now have the one number, Google Voice, for calls and texts!!! Woohoo
  10. gigadigit

gigadigit Well-Known Member

Can you do texting using WiFi?
    I tried sending a text to my Evo and my T-Mobile Tab wouldn't send one.
    I did receive the text from t-mobile regarding the sim card that i bought.
  11. raqball

Yes I text via wifi all the time....
  12. Tech Addiction

can you do a short tutorial on how to use google voice and what type of calls you can make? Is there any money involved with either google or Skype?
  13. raqball

Tech Addiction likes this.
  14. Tech Addiction

15. maui_babiee

maui_babiee Member

I just bought my Tab today & for some reason I can't send texts.
  16. winja

winja New Member

You purchased the U.S. version which is set up for data only. If by chance you have AT&T as your carrier you can swap the sim card from your phone to your tab and text that way. The text messages will come from and to your phone number which is on your sim card not your phone. If anyone try's to call you it will state you are not accepting phone calls at this time or direct straight to your voice mail.
  17. cajuncartfan

cajuncartfan Active Member

If you got the Verizon version you have to unblock texts from your tab. I added the lowest texting plan to mine online.
  18. laxbro7

laxbro7 New Member

im looking to get a galaxy tab. if i bought the wifi version, would i still be able to text and call people if im in a wifi zone? or does the tab not even have the ability to text/call with only wifi. what if i got it rooted?
  19. azpirin

azpirin Member

Use Kakaotalk
  20. GirlGoneGeek

GirlGoneGeek Well-Known Member

Best Android Apps: Apps for turning your Galaxy Tab into a phone - for $4 by GirlGoneGeek | Appolicious Android App Directory

You can do this with Google Voice and a $4 app called Groove IP. One-time cost, no need to use Skype with its subscription fees. The link is my brief how-to on AndroidApps.com, and there are other links there for more detailed info. I use this setup for free texts and calls on my Sprint SGT.

ALSO: this from our own forums here:
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...sprint-galaxy-tab-groove-ip-google-voice.html
  21. chicano

chicano Well-Known Member

I am using Heywire to text for free on my Sprint's SGT. They assign you a number. So while i am having coffee at a coffee shop with free wifi, i can text and receive texts.
  22. wodin

wodin Well-Known Member

Yes, I use Google Voice app for text, and Groove IP for voice. Both work well.

I have a VZW Tab and a Sprint HTC EVO 4G phone. I ported my Sprint number to GV and now I get both Voice and text on both devices when someone calls/texts my Sprint Number.

Before doing this, I got a couple of text spams on my Tab's number, and was charged $0.20 each for them. I'm not sure, however, what happens to my voice minutes when using GV on either device.
    TabLover218 likes this.
  23. TabLover218

TabLover218 New Member

I'm not a big tech fiend but I can usually figure these things out. However with my Galaxy Tab, I receive messages from T-mobile but I can't send message out. I figure I'm addressing them incorrectly or something. Can someone point me to a 'how-to'?
  24. ziffos

ziffos Well-Known Member

Galaxy Tab GT-P1000 here in UK can be used to send/receive text messages AND make/receive phone calls.

There is also now available the WIFI only version (GT-P1010) that will NOT do texting or calls.
  25. kenatsb

kenatsb Member

Line2 is a good app you can use for texting and calling. Its in the market.