• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can the hero do tv out?

That is a good question, and I do have a bittersweet answer to that.

The thing about the HTC Incredible having tv out is that it has the direct hardware capability to do so, whereas the Hero does not.

However.... If you root your phone, surely there is a frame buffer (video driver) you can install, and then you would have to do some shell code monkey work to 'pipe' the image on screen through the usb port, to say a computer monitor with a program to receive and display it (this capability is through core linux on the phone, but I don't know to what extent it would have this capability built in)

The bitter side of this though, is that it would be slow, and not 3d optimized and would DEFINITELY slow down the phone, because the rendering would not be optimized. In other words it would have to render and process each frame twice. It would probably be really slow just displaying animation on the home screen.

Though it is feasible and makes me curious... Also, you know what else you could do if you had root that would do the same thing? Install an RDP server (remote desktop protocol) and then RDP into the phone (almost ALL operating systems have an RDP client, but if not, there are free downloads you can use for ANY desktop OS).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones