Can the Photon roam on GSM carriers networks in the USA?General

Last Updated:

1. braxx

braxx Member

Seeing as the Photon has quad band ability. Can/will it be able to roam on a GSM network in the USA?

I currently have a EVO4G and there is a dead spot at my property in the country and my phone wont work very well at all. I even tried the verizon PRL and it was no better. A friend came out to my property and his phone on AT&T worked fine.

If the Photon will roam on to AT&T's network, that would be awesome.

2. KnowProblem

KnowProblem Well-Known Member

I would be absolutely shocked if it roamed on AT&T. You might be able to do emergency calls on it on AT&T or TMO while in GSM mode though.

Another question is whether it will operate on T-Mobile or AT&T with one of those companies' SIMs in it. I am going to try that when I get the phone later this week. Note that it is not compatible with T-Mobile's 3G/4G but should work ok on AT&T's 3G (assuming it is allowed to work with one of their SIMs).
  3. TigerC10

TigerC10 Member

Photon roams on GSM but ONLY FOR PHONE CALLS. You can't "data-roam" on the GSM frequencies.
  4. SporkLover

SporkLover Well-Known Member

The way Sprint setup their world phones before (TP2) was that they would NOT use domestic GSM carriers.

You could however, use any foreign GSM network without a radio unlock.

Eventually once the TP2 radio was "cracked" you could run a full "unlock" on it and roam on domestic GSM networks.
  5. KnowProblem

KnowProblem Well-Known Member

Incorrect. This phone can data roam on GSM 2G data (EDGE) as well as GSM 3G (aka UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA).