1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Can the Today view of inbuilt Calendar be improved?

Last Updated:

1. Russ

Russ Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

New to this forum, love my G1, signed up as an Android developer so I can give something to the community as well. It's my favourite phone and community to date :)

I have a quick question, I make heavy use of the google calendar now (synchronising with Thunderbird at home/work).

I leave the Android calendar set to Today view, which is mostly handy, but at the same time really rubbish due to one little problem (for me at least).

It tells you everything you need to do today, but has little provision for upcoming events (I know it's today view, not upcoming). However you can easily scroll to every event you've added in the past, which is useless to me. If the app was a history app great, but I use calendars for future scheduling, not for recording what I did in the past?

Ok sorry rant over, my question is

"Does anyone know a way to hack/configure the in built calendar to show more/all future events?" please?

I've had a hunt around the market place for a decent aftermarket calendar but didn't spot one. Maybe I have to write one? If no one has any suggestions on how to fix this that's what I'll try and do I guess.

Anyway nice looking site, thanks for reading :)

Russ

Advertisement
  2. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

When I click "Today" in the Menu, I get a list of Today's events. If you touchsreen pulling down you see the past, and if you push up you see the future. The view I see is 1 month, which certainly towards the end of the month could be useless.

3. SK.

SK. Well-Known Member

I can't really add much to this as I have it set up for agenda view which really does suit my needs.

I can see everything I need from that view

4. Russ

Thanks for getting back to me :)

Two things then

1) What is agenda view???

2) I think to put my problem/question more concisely I should have said

"I have today view, it shows me NOTHING in the future, I definitely have various events next month that are not in the list, however it shows all my past events (useless), any ideas please"?##

I think you're right djkaufman, all my futures are next month. Grrrrr why not have a rolling month showing??

Hacks/solutions most welcome :) Or is there a place I can submit feedback to the android calendar dev team please? I would happily write a new calendar but time is short at present and by the time I do it the bug maybe fixed :)

5. DarkTLRrider

DarkTLRrider Well-Known Member

In the calendar hit menu>agenda It does not show a specific date but all of your appointments in chronological order, scroll up for previous and down for future.

6. ChilledMatt

ChilledMatt Well-Known Member

Except you can't scroll past the end of the month. I have to switch to month view in order to move the page to the next month and then switch back to agenda view. It really is rather anoying.

7. dkaufman1

Also they have a weird on/off state in the menu. They don't show you the view you are currently using. If you click week view and then, "today" it just highlights "today". Same deal for month view, then "today".

I agree it would easy to add a setting called, "rolling 30 days" showing 15 forward and 15 back.

8. Russ

Ahh that's the thing, I don't have Agenda on my menu options. Am UK based, wonder if we get different software??

BTW I have a TLS, awesome :) Want a TLR for sprinting maybe next season :)

9. ChilledMatt

I am UK and have agenda option (which I use all of the time). The calendar would be nowhere near as usable without it.
    What firmware/build are you using?

10. Russ

You're joking!? lol :) When i first got the handset (about a week after launch) it asked if I wanted to update, that was a nice experience, then I assumed the phone would prompt me to do updates in the future as and when.

Firmware 1.0
    Kernel 2.6.25-01843-gfea26b0
    Build kila_uk-user 1.0 TC5-RC8 116470 ota-rel-keys,release-keys

:D All this time I've been missing a trick.

11. ChilledMatt

Same version as me. I don't understand why you would not have agenda view. Maybe someone who knows a bit more will come along and shine some light on this.

12. dkaufman1

For the people who were unsure why they don't see the menu...I posted this, it is a weird on/off state issue. I don't know why it is like this but it is not very consistent in having navigation just be grayed out when not applicable.

Let me know if this helps.

13. Russ

Thanks guys!

Turns out I was in agenda view all along (confusing menu, I agree with dkaufman, more consistency please).

The agenda view is just a bit rubbish :)

Time to write my own calendar app maybe,

Cheers!

14. dkaufman1

Check it out today...with just a few days left in the month, you can't see next week even....weak.

15. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

what i do is just go to the next month view and then do agenda ... and I see the next months ... of course now you can't see the previous month ... I guess the coder creator didn't worry about the look-ahead or look-back of real calendar scheduling .... :)

16. dkaufman1

The whole Android PIM is very weak. I mean when Palm has been rock solid for 10+ years and Google tries to rethink/re-engineer it all.

Embedding contacts into Gmail?
    Notes and Todo non-existent?

17. Russ

You're absolutely right, the easiest/fundamental apps have been rushed a little bit.

Now how long until a decent calendar is out? Do I was a couple weeks trying to write one just to find google releases one the day before? :)

18. dkaufman1

I still don't have all my contacts in my phone do to the poor contact manager in gmail. I also don't use the android contact tool, and instead use star contact.

As for writing one...I think if you have the chops you will get quite a lot of people interested.

19. richardajh

richardajh New Member

The lack of a decent Calendar is what held me back from getting an iPhone or Android. WebIS have now released Pocket Informant (a proper PIM) for the iPhone which now almost brings it up to the standard of WinMo. I'd love to see this released for Android (or Agenda Fusions similar PIM which I use on WinMo) - this would convince to get an Android phone.