• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can they cheat when I leave my phone on warranty repairs?

Hey guys,
I bought a samsung Grand 2, 3 weeks ago but the screen tend to get in. So I went for warranty repair the next day itself. But not yet received it back. I call but they said they are expecting delivery of new screens. I asked if i can get another new one but they said no 'cause they already changed a few buttons and stuff...

My question is, Can or will they cheat by putting some old stuff and steal the new ones??

While it is possible, it's not really cheating. A lot of times when a phone is sent in for warranty service and they can't fix it, they will replace it with a refurbished model and continue the warranty on the original phone. I don't know I've ever heard of them replacing components with used parts. At least not the official manufacturer service centers.

I don't know what the consumer laws are where you are, but 3 weeks seems short enough that if you took it to the store where you purchased it for service you should be able to simply return the phone even if they have done some work to it.

Upvote 0
While this doesn't apply to all companies, as a rule, I expect to get a new phone when the defective device is within the store's return/exchange window, and I expect a refurb when under warranty but not within the store's exchange/return window.

So if you have a company that wants to give you a refurb for a defective phone, just take it back to the store when possible. If you're doing an exchange, you also get quicker turnaround than if you were to do an RMA.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones