Can this be done?

1. AC5FF

AC5FF Member

I recently upgraded my ancient HTC Hero... About dang time eh!? :D

I did a lot of searching and reading reviews and it came down to choosing between the Galaxy III and the Optimus G. For better or worse, I went with the Galaxy.

One of the many things I liked on the Optimus was the way the system operated. In particular the 'lock' screen'. I'm not all that versed with phone systems; and to an extent my brain says if phone X is running JB, and phone Y is running JB, then initially out of the box they should 'act' the same. But I know that is not the case. I don't know what it is called - I believe with the HTC phone it was "Sense" ???

My question is - if I like the (for lack of knowing the right terminology) 'Sense' on phone X but I own phone Y, is there a way to put phone X's 'Sense' feature on my phone?

I should add - without 'rooting' or something like that. (I screwed up my Hero by putting a MOD on it... Never worked the same after... I don't want to mess up another phone! :D

Advertisement
    :
  2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Typically your best option for trying to get something else without rooting your device would be to mess around with launchers.

There are a couple good ones out there like Nova Launcher and Apex Launcher.

You could also try out a lock screen application like Widget Locker.
  3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven What does this button do? Moderator

Unfortunately no. Sense is HTC's addition on top of Android, while Touchwhiz is Samsungs addition. These are called skins. You may be able to find roms that replicate Sense on your new phone, but that would require root.

I hope this helps.:)
  4. AC5FF

AC5FF Member

Anyone know what 'skin' is used on the Optimus G?
  5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven What does this button do? Moderator

I can't remember the name of that one. Let me hunt.:eek:
  6. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

I don't think LG's launcher has a name lol all results bring back "LG UI 3.0" <latest lg launcher

DS
    Unforgiven likes this.
  7. lightsleeper23

lightsleeper23 Well-Known Member

It's just called Optimus UI 3.0
  8. lightsleeper23

If you want a samsung or lg to mimic the htc sense ui, without rooting, your best bet is to use go launcher ex, and apply one of the sense themes found in the play store. Go developer also has the go locker lock screen replacement which also has sense themes.
  9. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

Sense gets old quick, I know :D I suggest a vanilla theme, it's much sexier :p

DS
  10. AC5FF

AC5FF Member

Will have to look it up
  11. lightsleeper23

True that. That's why I use holo launcher HD if I don't have a vanilla device.
  12. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

I suggest you give it a few days before you make any decisions: you'll probably find you get used to the Samsung skin really, really quickly.

I had an HTC last and really liked Sense, but I can't say I've missed it at all since moving to vanilla Android.