Can this phone go on for 3 more months?General

1. charlie310

charlie310 Well-Known Member

If anyone reads my prior posts, I've had many problems with this phone from the beginning. I'm on my 4th Bionic (exchanged my first 3 due to instability), and I'm on my 3rd wall charger (seems like the chargers have a useful life of 6 months). I didn't mind buying a charger (cuz it's only $5), but now the battery is crapping out. My battery meter is so inaccurate, I rebooted my phone while it was at 70% battery life, and when it booted it was at 20%. My battery graph shows a cliff the size of the grand canyon. I have to wait 3 months before I'm eligible for an phone upgrade, but I don't think this phone will last that long. I actually think it's pitiful how this phone can't even last 1.5 years. I might have to spend $20 to buy another battery.

Advertisement
  2. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

There were problems in the past. After upgrading to ICS and and then doing a Factory Data Reset the problems seemed to have evaporated. This seems to be the case for almost everyone.

If you are having OEM (Motorola) wall chargers go bad that is VERY unusual from what I have seen here. I have two (came with the Droid X and Bionic). They are interchangeable. One is three years old and the other is 1.5 years old.

If you are using OEM chargers and they are blowing out I would then ask what they are plugged into. Perhaps you have other electrical problems at that location?

I just replaced the battery in the Droid X. It is only used for testing and is off most of the time. It would not hold a charge longer than 30 minutes. I got an OEM replacement on Amazon.com for $18. (An OEM replacement for the Bionic is about $11.)

Your battery probably needs to be replaced.

For chargers and batteries ... OEM is the only recommendation.

... Thom
    SNeitzel likes this.
  3. SNeitzel

SNeitzel Well-Known Member

I second most all of what Thom is saying. I still have the wall charger and cable that came with my OG Droid, identical to the one that came with my Bionic, and it still works flawlessly. Maybe you're tougher on chargers than some of us.

As far as the battery goes, I personally have 2 extended batteries that I swap between. They do wear out. Both of mine seem to be starting to go downhill a bit since ICS. I think ICS puts more demands on the battery.

I would get a new battery (OEM as Thom suggests). Look at it like this, $20 isn't bad if it gets you through the next few months to your upgrade and if you sell your Bionic after that it comes with a battery that's only 3 months old.
    Thom and doogald like this.