Can upgraded Desire be rooted?

Last Updated:

1. calibertto

calibertto New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I've recently updated my Desire to Froyo from the OTA update (2.13.707.1), and my thought of the moving to SD card option will save me tons of space on the phone.

Guess i'm wrong.

the stocks apps plus the some of the apps i've downloaded already occupied 144MB on the phone, and my "some" apps is only things like lookout, 3g watchdog, history eraser, htc sync, hyper jump, root explorer.
    And not all apps can be move to the SD card, that's the worst.

I was wondering if i could root my desire even though i've updated to froyo, so that i could have the root permission to delete the stock apps like stock, talk, peep, plurk and teeter using the root explorer. They're just hogging my spaces and it irritates me.

and if i've rooted, will i be able to install any OTA update in the future? anyway it's not a big deal, since i could install a custom rom once rooted.

Thanks! :)

Advertisement
  2. teppic74

teppic74 Well-Known Member

System apps are stored in a different place and aren't at all relevant to your space. It won't free anything up you can use.

jim_h likes this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member VIP Member

Yes, you can root an OTA 2.2 Desire - Unrevoked 3.2 will do this. I did it this morning myself.

As for space, I understand (not yet tried it) that the unofficial Apps2SD (referred to as Apps2SD+) does a better job than the version included in Froyo. So it should be possible to save some space that way, though I need to do a bit more research on this - most others in this forum can probably give better answers here.

As for future OTA updates, what I've read is that if you still have the stock ROM (haven't replaced it with a custom one) then you probably can install them, but will probably lose root in the process. Sorry for all of the "probably"s, but I'm summarising what I've understood from other people's posts rather than speaking from any experience here.

calibertto likes this.
  4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Once rooted you should avoid OTA updates as even if they do install, they will just break things

As teppic says, System apps do not regain you space as their space is within teh rom itself. of course, they can be removed which will stop their services running in the back ground. For example, News & Weather was always running on mine, so I removed it.

5. calibertto

calibertto New Member This Topic's Starter

think i'll get mine rooted soon.
    like danfrance mentioned, i can removed those apps from running in the background.

Thanks guys!