Can Verizon block txt messages?

Last Updated:

1. Crude

Crude Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 26, 2009
    I don't have a messaging plan. I do occasionally send a message but I rarely get $10 (the price of a messaging plan) worth of charges. This month I realized they charged me $.20 to send a message and another $.20 to receive that message on another line of my fam share plan. I'm not OK with being charged for messages that I do not solicit. I'm even less ok with a double charge for ONE message on top of a phone bill that looks like the monthly payment for my wifes jeep.

Just to be clear, I want to block ALL messaging.

2. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, call em up and they'll do it. If they ask why explain it to them.
  3. Vmanisme

Vmanisme Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2010
    You can get a block but they will try to sell you the $5 text plan for 250 text massages and play the whole family emergency game crap, if you have an Android phone use Google Voice, it gives you another number but its free texting! Been using it for like a year now, never payed a penny.
  4. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Not a problem. They can block all messaging. Just ask. Sometimes folks ask for selective blocking which isn't possible. As for the send/receive charge, it's been like this forever so it shouldn't come as a huge surprise. You pay for a text on a line whether sent or received. So, yeah, it'll hit you up twice if you text to someone on your own family plan. I agree with you on unsolicited texts. I wouldn't pay for that either, but I've never gotten them. +1 for signing up for Google Voice as it gives you free, unlimited texting. As soon as I transition over, I'm dropping my $5 texting option.
  5. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Make that +2. Just make sure to disable the text alert, otherwise when someone sends you a GV text, GV will then send your regular phone a text telling you you have a GV text! It seems to be disabled by default though, which is nice. I tried using GV on my iPhone, and it worked, but I couldn't figure out how to disable the text aleert text, which made it pretty pointless! But that was using a hacked GV portal app thing someone made for the iPhone, it wasn't an official Google app.