• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

can Verizon tell if your rooted?

The original question was "can they tell if I rooted." The answer is "yes."

The secondary question, "should you root," is altogether different. And "will they honor the warranty" is a different question than "should they honor the warranty."

I agree with the earlier post saying "if the speaker breaks, I want a new phone...." versus "if I bricked it by putting a half-baked beta ROM without doing a backup and then tried to mod the radio I still want a new phone,"
maybe not so much.

You pays your money you takes your chances. I went through 4 Palm Treo's on Verizon which suffered from a variety of problems (bad headphone jack; bluetooth white screen of death, screen crack....etc.) I paid for insurance and I got replacement units. I'm paying for insurance on my Dinc (which I've rooted and reflashed with a different ROM), and if something fails that's under warranty, I will hold them to it.

(Yeah, and I'll also unroot and return to stock for the 10 minutes while I drive to the store....)

I also recognize that a lot of swap outs are done over the phone, and then the bad unit is mailed to some refurb plant in Texas where nobody actually turns the damn thing on, so, you pretty much can get another phone without anybody actually looking at the "about phone" and seeking you're rooted.

With all the issues with the Dinc (spontaneous reboots; MMS messages disappearing, and other problems which have plagued some units), a compelling argument can usually be made to justify the warranty claim irrespective of root status by a user with at least half a brain.

But, one more thing, don't mess with roots and ROMS if you aren't ready to deal with the consequences. It's not that big a deal, but it's not for everyone. Heck, my daughter won't even install third party software on her Dinc (and hers reboots incessantly --- she just doesn't want to return yet another one).

Upvote 0
If you re-root your phone, delete Z4, super user and Root Explorer and reset to factory settings, can they tell it's been rooted? I need to take mine in because the wireless isn't working - I've had it for a week. I didn't know that rooting would void the warranty until it was too late. Please please please help

Upvote 0
If you re-root your phone, delete Z4, super user and Root Explorer and reset to factory settings, can they tell it's been rooted? I need to take mine in because the wireless isn't working - I've had it for a week. I didn't know that rooting would void the warranty until it was too late. Please please please help

If you are using a wireless router at home try resetting it. Mine stopped working as well. I had to reset my router after rooted for a while.

Upvote 0
If you re-root your phone, delete Z4, super user and Root Explorer and reset to factory settings, can they tell it's been rooted?

it depends on the phone. For example, HTCs are really easy. just boot into recovery and look for S-Off(rooted). For droids they will typically look at build number and kernel. And they can check for SU permissions by using a terminal emulator. Best to flash stock rom and unroot before entering store

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones