Can we just outwardly acknowledge how big of a blunder this text/voicemail thing is?

Last Updated:

1. itsaddison

itsaddison Active Member This Topic's Starter

This isn't on par with the sidekick loss of data, but unknowingly missing text messages (across the board it seems) and unknowingly missing voicemails (less common, but still prevalent it seems) is a BIG DEAL. Even after I presumably fixed both text and voicemail issues, tested to confirm on both, I was surprised to find a few hours later that neither were working again! :mad: And I've not come close to toughing the 40MB limit Sprint is mentioning. I've had 100MB free on my phone the whole time. That's just unacceptable and means to me that some element of this product was released irresponsibly into the free market before it was ready. If there are fatal flaws associated with the use of task killers, or other 3rd party apps, this needs to be understood and communicated to the consumer.

As much as I LOVE Sense UI and the Hero in general, I'm porting back to my month-to-month Verizon plan to wait out the storm. :( Losing basic, critical phone functionality is NOT an option for me.

That's a real bummer for me because the Hero is *easily* my favorite phone on the market. Sense UI is forward looking, and I believe a bar-raiser for other companies, Apple included. But as much as I hate to give it up, it does sort of feel good to be back on the sidelines again, free to jump on the Passion (Dragon) or the like in the near future.

Advertisement
  2. ron

ron Well-Known Member

It's MAJOR for sure. I am now back on my Blackberry until either the Hero is fixed in the next week or so, or I will return the HERO for a refund.
    No way I am using a phone where messages go missing, with no indication of the failure. SMS is just as important as email these days, and this is a critical, very big problem.

I suggest someone post some top tier phone support numbers so we can ensure that this is fixed asap before everyone returns their phone.

3. ron

ron Well-Known Member

What's a little scary about this is that I was reading on the Android forums back in the early summer that the Euro squared-off chin version of the Hero has had this SMS issue for a long time now. And now they are releasing new phones in new markets with the same issue?!? It ain't fixed yet?!? Seriously, what should make us think that it will ever be fixed when HTC and Google have know about this since the Spring??

4. LTZguy

LTZguy Well-Known Member

o crap...i might bring my junk back then....maybe i wasnt so bad off with the instinct hd i had....

5. Heroic Lover

Heroic Lover Active Member

People know I LOVE the Hero, but I will return it if they don't fix this issue ASAP.

6. rebs

rebs Member

I'm losing hope for a quick fix since HTC won't even commit to a rough time frame...especially since it's supposedly been an issue for over 6 months. :-( /sigh

7. Mrniceguy

Mrniceguy Well-Known Member

8. elguapo76

elguapo76 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip Mr. Nice Guy. I will be posting my issue on Twitter and calling and emailing Sprint. I've already emailed HTC twice...no reply yet. I called them once and they were unaware of my issue altogether. It almost seemed like I knew more about Hero issues than the person I spoke to did.

9. Mrniceguy

Mrniceguy Well-Known Member

The person you spoke to was likely just a run of the mill CS rep...
    They aren't Dev's so they really don;t know squat but we should change that

Blow their phones up till they comply and if they don;t Samsung moment here we come

have i mentioned its a google experiance device

10. astrobill

astrobill Well-Known Member

Just had this problem...someone left a VM for me, and suddenly seven voice mails popped up from the past WEEK, none of which I received originally. GRRR! Sprint reports no "outages" or trouble tickets in my area...grr.

11. chfields

chfields Well-Known Member

What setups do you have?? I haven't had any issue with mine...but, I also don't use text and vm that much..................

12. DFRESH

DFRESH Well-Known Member

I finally experienced my 1st issue yesterday ..

stopped receiving text and calls ....i switched to a couple of roms and nothing.

i unrooted my phone this morning and all of a sudden it started to work again...

13. OxRod

OxRod Member

I have an unrooted phone with he stock Rom, and I have never had any issue you are complaining about. So what's the blunder?

14. Eaglesfan9106

Eaglesfan9106 Well-Known Member

+1

15. hood420

hood420 Well-Known Member

I have a rooted hero and have never, to my knowledge, missed anything. I have always had my phone maxed out on memory also. I've heard this talked about in several threads, I'm very glad that I haven't experienced the problem yet.

16. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

I have never had a problem sending or receiving texts or voicemail. It is rooted but I didn't have those problems before I was rooted either. I must have the only working Hero in the world.

17. gowcaizer1978

gowcaizer1978 Well-Known Member

Mine is still stock and I have never had these problems. Im sorry to hear about this.

18. agreenmartian

agreenmartian Member

I had this issue when my hero was stock, I have not had a single incidence of it since switching to custom ROMs.
    BTW, I've used fresh 1.1 and currently use modaco 2.2. I can't vouch for others.

19. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

I had this issue on October 12th and this last Tuesday. Both times occurred for no apparent reason. Reboot fixed both (once I knew it happened).

20. zombdroid

zombdroid Well-Known Member

No, can't acknowledge something that have never happened.

21. bimmjo

bimmjo Well-Known Member

This happened to me Friday afternoon. Friday nite, my phone battery was dying and I tried sending a couple texts. Kept getting messages saying that the phone was unable to send the text. I tried a few hours later to make a phone call and it would start to dial, call counter got to 2 seconds and it just went back to the call screen and no longer was making a call? Did it about four times all with the same result. I Chalked it up to the battery being close to dead.

The entire time I was getting emails as usual from various accounts.

Then on Saturday I realized that I was not able to make or recieve calls or texts. Tried various things and nothing seemed to work. Gave up out of frustration. Turned off the phone Sunday morning and turned back on and it all worked like normal.

The sad thing is my daughter was at a sleep over Sat nite and tried calling at 1:00 am, cause she missed me and I never knew it. I felt awful.

So I am in the group that thinks this deal needs to be fixed and am a little sad to hear it is happening to a lot of people?

I missed at least three calls and texts that I know of now, only because the people told me they had tried to get a hold of me. No telling how many other things I have missed and I will never know.

I for one am glad I have another upgrade this month. I got the hero with an upgrade that I talked sprint into giving me and it was not time, but they never took away my original date which is this month. I will be shopping. Havent loved the phone.

22. chfields

chfields Well-Known Member

I have 2 heros one rooted and one stock and neither have had any issues with texting or vm..................

23. acp

acp Well-Known Member

I haven't had this specific problem as far as I know, I do have random call issues, but I've become numb to them by now and I never stopped to find a pattern. Maybe, the group experiencing this has a common denominator, which could be an app or something.

24. killtheaquitted

killtheaquitted Well-Known Member

I've had the same problem but on the other end. About once a week I cannot send texts or make phone calls unless I reboot (unrooted hero). I don't get any error messages or anything. When I press on a person's number or hit call the phone just does nothing. With texting, i get the sending circle until infinity and all texts go through when i reboot. I hear everyone saying "Whats the big deal, just reboot." Yeah, except rebooting takes about 3 minutes or so and I worry that I may find myself in an emergency situation and not be able to make a phone call.

My wife also has an unrooted hero and she has the VM texting issue (I don't). Sprint reps have been helpful to her by suggesting to reboot the phone or do a hard reset. The other day my wife said "This phone does everything great except for actually being a phone." That about sums it up for me.

25. bimmjo

bimmjo Well-Known Member

Update to my post last week. Lost several calls and texts as explained. Well the good news............On Wednesday afternoon, my voicemails from last week showed up!!!! I got to listen to my daughter crying on the phone at 1:30 in the morning Sunday morning.......on Wednesday afternoon........ I have also just now started finding out that I have missed SEVERAL phone calls and voice mails over the last couple weeks. I have had 4 people ask me why I will not return their calls. I only wonder what else I have been missing. I also know of two texts that have vanished into space as the Sprint Technician explained to me tonite.

And for the record, she said that when HTC releases any updates, we will get them. Try the sprint store cause sometimes they get info on it before technicians do? Hmmmm, I guess I would think technicians would be pretty in the loop on updates and such. She specifically tried to avoid that part of the conversation.

I have been a HUGE Sprint fan and even a Hero fan. I am very close to going and getting a real phone as I dont play with the extra crap that is so laggy on the hero anyway. As one poster mentioned, It is frustrating when your phone doesnt work well as a phone.

So frustrating that I learn more from other customers than I do Sprint though. That is not how it should be.

Thanks for letting me vent.