• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can we root the Boost 6.0 ?

I was wondering if we could root the LG G Stylo 6.0 from Boost Mobile? I keep seeing it for other carriers, but not specifically for the Boost phone. Any help would be appreciated.
no permanent root, MM has that dm-verity and unless you have an unlocked bootloader you can't get to where you can modify the kernel permissions. It's only going to get worse in andriodN, and you can't flash back to Lollipop without an unlocked bootloader either, so far, with that qfuse. It sucks

Reactions: sb43
Upvote 0
no permanent root, MM has that dm-verity and unless you have an unlocked bootloader you can't get to where you can modify the kernel permissions. It's only going to get worse in andriodN, and you can't flash back to Lollipop without an unlocked bootloader either, so far, with that qfuse. It sucks

Upvote 0
Has anyone tried loki or bump on vm and boost stylos. Just curious guys. And no i don't have one to try on.
I have bumping capability to help u guys but what's that gonna do..?? Still need Root to change out the boot.img. Plus LG got away from needing Bump, therefore is useless to us on MM.. I think.

Reactions: jmacie
Upvote 0
On most Smartphone devices one can go into Settings and go to About and tap About 7 times to get into Developer options. After developers options is enabled, there you will see in the list of options Unlock OEM bootloader. From there is the walk around to unlock your device from the carriers lock.

Upvote 0
sounds good, yet I don't understand what the walk around is.
On most Smartphones that are locked to a particular carrier. The previous post is to show you how to unlock your phone and open up your phone's in bootloader hence the phone can then be rooted and one can choose any carrier from that point for service s. Now mind you I did state most Smartphones have that option. Oh and the walk around I mentioned was meant that one doesn't have to wait a year or whatever time limit that it takes to have the device solely in your control without the carriers permission.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Reactions: viperdink
Upvote 0
Not sure what you've done but I unlocked many devices using that OEM bootloader unlock switch. A messages should appear stating you have unlocked your device.
http://www.howtogeek.com/239798/how-to-unlock-your-android-phones-bootloader-the-official-way/
Sprint/boost/VM phones are locked out of the bootloader. You cannot reboot to bootloader. Checking OEM switch doesn't bring you to another page. You cannot go to adb fastboot and the oem bootloader switch doesn't function at all. So unless Sprint says so, that switch is dead

Upvote 0
I have a Boost LG Stylo and it can be rooted temporarily with Kingroot. I edited my build.prop to enable adoptable storage - which I did but when I restarted the phone I was bricked with some kind of security error. I sent the phone to LG and got it fixed but now I am wondering - will it work if I enable OEM storage AND uninstall Kingroot (and possibly use a root checker to make sure that it is no longer rooted)? Or does the phone become bricked based on the fact that the build.prop is edited and it wouldn't matter if it was OEM Unlocked and if Kingroot was uninstalled? I'm tempted to just try it but it took 2 weeks+ for LG to fix my phone so :(.

Upvote 0
I was using the method of using kingroot then changing some build.prop and a few other root only mods, then uninstalling kingroot. I was good to go no problem until ZV8 came out. For some reason even though I uninstalled kingroot there was something residual left from kingroot and my phone would not take the ZV8 update. I sent it to LG and they fixed it and flashed ZV8 on the phone for me. I spent hours loading my stuff back. I altered the phone to use adoptable storage through ADB. Then, I got impatient to have tethering enabled, and that required root and altering hidden apn settings. I did the temproot, altered the apn settings uninstalled kingroot(the 05/30/16 kingroot) and restarted and I bricked. This was, in fact, my 4th return to LG. I don't think Im going to have the guts to try again, until I find out if flashing with LGup is successful. I tried a ZV8 tot on xda and it froze at 4% cefs initialize error. But at some point the guys selling tots on LG-firmware-romcom will have a ZV8 and I may chance it one more time. It's the same it has been since Marshmallow, tons of us bricking. Cannot understand why kdz firmware is FREE but tots cost, absurd

Upvote 0
I was using the method of using kingroot then changing some build.prop and a few other root only mods, then uninstalling kingroot. I was good to go no problem until ZV8 came out. For some reason even though I uninstalled kingroot there was something residual left from kingroot and my phone would not take the ZV8 update. I sent it to LG and they fixed it and flashed ZV8 on the phone for me. I spent hours loading my stuff back. I altered the phone to use adoptable storage through ADB. Then, I got impatient to have tethering enabled, and that required root and altering hidden apn settings. I did the temproot, altered the apn settings uninstalled kingroot(the 05/30/16 kingroot) and restarted and I bricked. This was, in fact, my 4th return to LG. I don't think Im going to have the guts to try again, until I find out if flashing with LGup is successful. I tried a ZV8 tot on xda and it froze at 4% cefs initialize error. But at some point the guys selling tots on LG-firmware-romcom will have a ZV8 and I may chance it one more time. It's the same it has been since Marshmallow, tons of us bricking. Cannot understand why kdz firmware is FREE but tots cost, absurd
Hmmm you're learning............

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I've been through 4 previous style phones on MM too. And yes ... I did find that "un-rooting and uninstalling" Kingroot before rebooting still left me with yet another brick. I stopped trying for root access and am reluctantly relegated to waiting for root progress with the Sprint variants. :(:thinking:

Upvote 0
I have feelers out on xda for a ZV5 tot. I have dwnloaded what is supposed to be a ZV5 tot but it's zip is pswrd protected. The owner has not gotten back to me on it yet. I have downloaded a ZV7 AND ZV8 tot, but none would flash. I kept getting a cefs initialize error, that I was ultimately told was the dll I was using. At that point, I didn't have the phone it is at LG. So I didn't get to search out another LGup dll to use. The lg-firmware-romcom has lowered their prices for the ZV7 tot and dll to $20, so I'm sure they'll build a ZV8 one soon. Then maybe we can all flash ourselves. What I want to know , and I will probably have to attempt one last time before my warranty runs out, is If I flash back to ZV5 or ZV7 will I brick with a qfuse or not. I read different things, but can't get anyone to say it you are flashing back do you definitely trip qfuse, and does qfuse hardbrick or softbrick. The only info I got was if you failed in the middle of an LGup flash, that you could flash a different tot as long as you don't unplug. It's a hard selling point pill for us enthusiasts to swallow that you have to have a samsung or tmobile or nexus for root. I want a Sprint LG with an unlocked bootloader, what's the big deal anyway.

Reactions: NeoZiggy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones