• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can you activate a sprint iPhone 4s on boost mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Optimus: That won't work since Boost doesn't have a BYOD program. The only method I know of to get a non-Boost phone on their network is by flashing and I've not heard of any iPhones being flashed to Boost. I see tons of Evos though.

@Kolosus: GSM radios work on both Sprint and Virgin iPhone 4S models. Problem is that the SIM is carrier locked which doesn't really make much sense at all since neither support LTE nor do they operate off GSM. It is a silly idea to put a SIM slot on a locked non-LTE CDMA phone, but that's exactly what Sprint did.

@Early: I would personally go for Virgin's iPhone simply because it's $35 for unlimited data with throttling kicking in after 2.5GB as opposed to T-Mobile's $50/month plan throttling you after 500MB.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

Here's the quick and dirty -

The methods there are illegal. Note the dates on the thread, that's from nearly 3 years ago. :eek:

They discuss borrowing and cloning ESNs. Not ok.

There isn't an easy way.

Getting CDMA phones to work on other networks requires changing some identification numbers that don't change with a rom or operating system update - think of these numbers like the VIN number on a car.

Sometimes that carrier transfer may require changing values that are said to be illegal to do, while others say a complex identity transfer process may be legal.

AndroidForums.com staff can't advise on anything that openly violates the law, nor can we act as your legal counsel.

According to this vendor, they can assist in navigating those waters legally -

Flash CDMA Cell Phone : Flash Cell Phone to Cricket, Alltel, Verizon Sprint

You may wish to chat with them. We are not affiliated with them in any way, and this is not an endorsement, merely a possible suggestion.

There is a change in copyright protection exemptions that went into effect on January 26, 2013, and some reports indicate that some dealers of those services are being targeted by the legal arms of various carriers where violations are occurring.

You may wish to decide if you'll believe that any service will be available when you wish to change your phone back.

Mr. Google will tell you that it's safe and easy to make these sorts of transfers, but we'll have to advise you that you'll proceed at your own risk with that.

Hope this helps! :)

Upvote 0
Well I heard of only a couple people being able to do it but they had to use software like CDMA workshop to change the prls and what not and so if I wanted to use the esn from my LG Marquee with the iPhone would that be considered illegal?

VERY VERY grey area, I believe the the way the law is written you can not have more then one phone with the same esn, nor could you sell a phone with a modified esn.

Upvote 0
Why is that?

Read my post above.

It's for the exact same reason that two cars cannot share a VIN number.

The airwaves are a public resource under Federal jurisdiction.

You don't get on the air without proper registration and proper licensing.

Id values, like your ESN, are part of that.

Some of this is very black and white, not gray. The laws actually discuss ESNs apart from the latest DCMA ruling.

Good news - this thread is heading for a lock, I've done my best to clarify.

Upvote 0
Read my post above.

It's for the exact same reason that two cars cannot share a VIN number.

The airwaves are a public resource under Federal jurisdiction.

You don't get on the air without proper registration and proper licensing.

Id values, like your ESN, are part of that.

Some of this is very black and white, not gray. The laws actually discuss ESNs apart from the latest DCMA ruling.

Good news - this thread is heading for a lock, I've done my best to clarify.

I agree with you, I do however think that all cell phones should be like the gsm phones as long as your phone is unlocked, your phone is paid for in other words, you should be able to take it over to any other carrier that uses the same technology.
So for phones with sim card pop out the sim and in with the new, sim cards range in price from free to $15 and so should cdma esn transfers to a new carrier.

Upvote 0
Well I heard of only a couple people being able to do it but they had to use software like CDMA workshop to change the prls and what not and so if I wanted to use the esn from my LG Marquee with the iPhone would that be considered illegal?

As you didn't purchase the iPhone and have no idea of its present ESN status, yes.

Illegal.

If you screw up and the phone's been reported, and you're caught, maybe tomorrow when you go to sell it, you could face prosecution for trafficking in stolen goods.

There are legal ways to transfer an ESN.

We won't be discussing it for your found iPhone.

Please don't call that unfair of me.

Most people would think that it's honest to get a phone to its rightful owner. Easily done by taking it to the carrier.

You are owed nothing here on this, certainly not help to profit at the expense of someone who lost their phone.

Think of my ruling this way:

You snooze, you lose.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones