1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Can you back up apps to your computer...????

Last Updated:

1. idigm

idigm Member This Topic's Starter

Is there any way possible to back up the apps on the Captivate to your computer so if something happened to the phone you could restore them..??

Thanks!!!

Advertisement
  2. RedRyno

RedRyno Well-Known Member

I think you can reload your apps though the market...

3. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Well-Known Member

you can use titanium backup to backup everything then save a copy of the folder to your computer. you can also use a nandroid image through rom manager and clockwork recovery to save a "snapshot" of your phone at the time you back it up.

4. randy_c

randy_c Well-Known Member

Try myphoneexplorer

5. nybmx

nybmx Well-Known Member

6. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

Do all of these methods require rooting? If not, which ones don't?

7. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

This is the best solution.

This is handy but requires much more hacking up of your phone. To do a Nandroid backup you need to first use ROM Manager to install the ClockworkMod Recovery image to your phone, which replaces your stock boot manager. I've not heard how one can easily undo that if they choose to later and want to return to the stock boot manager.

Titanium Backup requires root as you can't get a full backup without it. MyBackup doesn't require root but it can't back up as much without root... you could do the same idea of manually copying off MyBackup's backup to your PC as in the Titanium Backup instructions, but your backup might not have all apps and certainly not all your data if you're not rooted.

Endoran likes this.
  8. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

Or use 'Astro file manager' or 'mybackup pro' to back them up to your sdcard and manually copy the backup folder to the pc from the sdcard while connected by usb.

by the way though, the apps you install are tied to your account, not the phone, so if you lose the phone or get another, you can just use the same login details on the new phone and they will all be available (except ones not installed from the market) to install again for free. so really you dont even have to bother.

9. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

You can do MyBackupPro. It's a fine backup for non-rooted users and I've used it before on non-rooted phones. You backup to the SD card and then copy those files to your computer. It restores all your apps and settings. The only thing it doesn't restore (without root) is your market links.

10. picard

picard Member

I use My backup pro also. Only took minuets to restore my phone after a reset