Can You Close Messages App If Using Handcent or Chomp?General

Last Updated:

1. DawnGP143

DawnGP143 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Will you still receive your messages if you close out the stock message "app" in say ATK? I never know if I should kill that or not. Same question holds for Bloo and Facebook. If you use Bloo, you can kill Facebook can't you?

Advertisement
  2. Maxwell

Maxwell Well-Known Member

I had the same question when I first switched from the stock messages app to handcent a while ago. It is to my understanding now that no matter if you get notifications from both handcent and the stock app that you have a message, the message is on your phone only once meaning its the app that shows the message in a format that you have choosen. So you can use ATK to kill the stock messages app but once you get a message, the stock app will be 'woken' and you will get a notification from the stock app as well as the app you wish to use such as handcent or chomps. What I was told to do was to just simply change the default to the desired mesages app and turn off the notification for the stock messages app to avoid the double notification.

3. ttran97

ttran97 Well-Known Member

Go into Messages and click Menu -> Settings. Then disable Auto-retrieve. Now only chomp or handcent will notify you of new messages.

4. mwesty79

mwesty79 Member

I don't think the OP is concerned about double notifications. They want to know if its "safe" to kill the stock "Messages" app.

I personally have killed the stock app before and everything "seemed" to be okay but I notice it just starts back up on its own again at some point.

Hope that helps a little! Somebody with more experience can prolly give you a more in depth answer tho :)

5. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

I've noticed that as well. With several other apps too. They just start running again after awhile.

6. andrew8806

andrew8806 Well-Known Member

The real question is... If you uninstall the Messages App will Handcent and all the functions work correctly?

7. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

i would say yes they would, but you can't uninstall the stock messages app....yet.

8. andrew8806

Why can't you? It shows up in the QuickUninstaller App? hmmm :D

9. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

Go ahead and try it

10. davros

davros Well-Known Member

theres a few apps you cant uninstall. messages is one of them, theres a few i want gone.

11. andrew8806

Yeah, the application couldn't force an uninstall.. that is why we need ROOT!!!!!!!!

12. DawnGP143

DawnGP143 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yes, you're right. I wasn't speaking about double notifications. I had already turned that off. I was talking about killing the stock Messages app. Glad to know I can kill it if I want to and still get my messages. Thanks for that.

Agreed. Since I use Handcent, would love for it to be gone as well. I would even be happy if there was a way to turn it OFF so I wouldn't have to kill it all the time.