Can you disable Voice Search?

1. jeremytanner

jeremytanner Well-Known Member

Okay, I've done lots of searching and can't find a way to disable voice search. I know, I know, everyone else in the world seems to want it. But I don't use it, have no reason to use it, and it takes up memory. I've been to the (lack of) settings and can't find anything.

I am rooted, but not familiar enough with it to know how to remove the application manually.

Using a task killer works for a few minutes, but it takes less than 5 minutes to return on its own.

Any thoughts? :)

Advertisement
  2. jeremytanner

jeremytanner Well-Known Member

/bump.

Anyone?
  3. josephb76

josephb76 New Member

I have the same question and problem with my EVO. Apparently NO ONE in the Forums has a clue or the courtesy to respond.

So much for fanfare.

:(
  4. Gamble1177

Gamble1177 Active Member

Not that I could find. Granted I only half assed looked while watching the game.
  5. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

there is no way to disable it, task killers only hurt your battery life. all kinds of stuff runs in the background in android, its best just to let it be. i never use it either, but even if you could disable it you wouldnt see any improvement in battery or anything
  6. DaNaRkI

DaNaRkI Well-Known Member

It almost never shows up idling on mine.

If you use the phone's search at all, it will load voice search in the background; if you have the search widget up it will keep the voice search loaded. This is done by OS design in case a person wants use the voice search (or any app the it "thinks" you'll need) so it will open quickly.

For what your looking to do, since your rooted, you can "freeze" apps. Freezing is sometimes preferred over uninstalling apps, in case something is linked to the unwanted app and you can easily unfreeze the app, else you might get errors/glitches/crashed/etc as it tries to run an associated app thats not there. So this may cause the search app to fc if you press the voice search by accident.

The crowd fav for freezing seems to be titanium backup, but there are a few apps in the market specifically for freezing apps.