Can you do a Nandroid backup to new phone?

Last Updated:

1. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If you do a Nandroid backup, then save the file from your SD card... can you use that same file to do a Nandroid Restore on a new replacement Eris? Seems like that should work, but I just want to make sure it's not phone-dependent...

Advertisement
  2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

DDustiNN,

That's actually a great question...I don't think I've ever seen this addressed / discussed.

In thinking about it, it should be no problem because you could be saving your Nandroid backups off of your /sdcard or between different /sdcards (which I'm sure some folks do). I would bet that you could transfer the backups between phones... Let's hope someone that actually has done this or knows could weigh-in and give us the real-world answer.

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

It's clever, and a friend of mine and I were talking about moving my sd card to her Eris as a test of it..

..that's tomorrow. ;)

4. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

I don't see why not. I as well am doing this tomorrow. Just make sure you aren't using the folder from the old phone and make a nandroid backup of something else first so it is made and then just drop in the old backup into the new phones nandroid folder. All should be well.

5. DDustiNN

Yeah I was thinking about it, and I feel like it should work... My friend wants to get his phone exchanged because he has the issue where his screens scroll all the way to the left when it's plugged in (same thing happened to my sister and she got an exchange for it).

I'll hopefully be testing this with his Eris within the next couple days (possibly even tonight, but most likely Tuesday). If no one else tries it before then, I'll post back here with the results.

6. BlueDC2

BlueDC2 Well-Known Member

You know the serial of the phone that you see on the base folder for your nandroid backups? You need to have that changed to the serial of the new phone. You can get it by doing an 'adb devices', it will be like HTxxxxxxxxxxx whatever

Frisco and scary alien like this.
  7. scary alien

Aha! Nice info. and tip! Thanks! (sounds like someone has already done this? :D)

8. DDustiNN

Ah so we'll just have to make sure that directory exists before the Restore. I see how it's set up in the SD card now... Another option would be to just do a quick Nandroid on the new phone, which would create that directory automatically. Then just copy the old nand backup into it and we're all set... I hope.... haha. Good call on this!

9. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

That is interesting, and quite the good tip as I anticipate giving this a try later this morning.

Can you share your experiences about doing this, and/or from where you derived that vital tidbit?

10. BlueDC2

BlueDC2 Well-Known Member

I saw a thread either on here or xda a while ago, where someone was trying to put a nand backup onto his new phone, but it wasn't working (I believe it was either failing to show up because the device serial was different and it couldn't be found in recovery or it failed to load). Anyway, someone said to change the folder name containing the backups to the new serial of the phone. It's really easy to do, so definitely test it out if you have the oppurtunity.

11. Mer2112

Mer2112 Well-Known Member

And???? :D

12. meanm50

meanm50 Well-Known Member

I would imagine that it would work if your TS drivers are the same. That is the only potential problem I could think of. Then again, just flash tsupdate3 and it would probably fix the issue...

Subscribed for answer...

13. DDustiNN

I never ended up trying it, since my friend decided not to take his phone in.

14. Randymac88

Randymac88 Member

Curious - where do Nandroid backups live on the SD card? I can't seem to find mine...not sure where to look.

15. scary alien

Look in the /sdcard/nandroid folder. The individual backups will be in folders named something like "BDS-20100704-1523" (i.e., "BDS-" followed by date (ccyymmdd) and time (hhmm) format).

I think there will be a folder above the "BDS" folder that is a unique identifier for your phone (so don't publish that here).

16. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

i did this the other day when designing a rom. it works fine, and me and the other person never edited the serial numbers.

it works just fine. think of what a nandroid restore actual does, it just takes a .img backup of our flashdata and replaces it later. that doesnt contain anything phone specific-possibly the serial number, but we didnt run into any issues.

Frisco likes this.
  17. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

What happened to the Google account (login)? Did they have access to your email & market apps configuration on the 2nd phone?

eu1