Can you do this....

Last Updated:

1. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I flashed the GNM_Turbo4, I obviously wiped dalvik and partition cache and the one thing I noticed right away was that my internal phone storage space went up from 102mb to 124mb. I assumed it was because I cleared out the cache files (maybe i'm wrong about that). So that got me thinkning.....can I or should I be wiping the dalvik cache and partition cache from time to time even if i'm not flashing a ROM just to free up space? Or would that be a very bad thing to do?

Advertisement
  2. xepicxacidx

xepicxacidx Well-Known Member

I don't think it really matters

flyinjoe13 likes this.
  3. darkxsun

darkxsun Well-Known Member

Sure, but it's probably not going to help you much. My guess is you assume that will make your phone faster, but more than likely it will make it slower, as those caches are a more quickly accessible form of some data. Clearing them forces the phone to go to the slower form, as well as rebuild the caches.

But, it can't hurt to test it out and see what you find. I'm just drawing from the general concept of cache (they're built to be a quicker way to access some commonly-used data).

flyinjoe13 likes this.
  4. Goonie21

Goonie21 Well-Known Member

some good info on the Dalvik cache

http://androidforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=710236

Cyberzerous and flyinjoe13 like this.
  5. killertonez

killertonez Active Member

or you could just install my a2sd multi rom wich has the ability to write dalvik to the sdcard. you can find it HERE

flyinjoe13 likes this.
  6. savoxis

savoxis Well-Known Member Developer

I have wiped dalvik and cache without reflashing quite a few times, so far I noticed no ill effects other than the phone taking a long time to boot the first time after clearing

flyinjoe13 likes this.
  7. getitnowmarketing

getitnowmarketing Well-Known Member Developer

wiping it causes the phone to rebuild the dalvikcache thats why it takes a while on 1st boot as it has to build it. It wont give you any permanent extra space as it just rebuilds it.

flyinjoe13, killertonez and savoxis like this.
  8. flyinjoe13

Thanks for the info everyone, but now i'm wondering why I gained so much internal phone storage space after flasing to GNM_Turbo4 over what I had with stock ROM (went from 102mb to 124mb). I had assumed it was because I cleared the dalvik and partition cache, but based on what everyone has said, that wouldn't make a difference.

Very confusing....

9. PowerBomb

PowerBomb Well-Known Member

Nobody is saying that clearing your caches DIDN'T free up some space for you. What they're saying is that this is not an effective way to increase your phones speed or performance. The cache is there to hold commonly used files and data that apps need. It helps apps open and run faster. If you delete it all, the apps have to figure things out from scratch, and it takes longer. Kinda like when you wipe all data to flash a ROM, the first time the phone reboots it takes forever. And, once you run these apps again, they will write their data into the cache again, so it will start filling up right away anyway. Yes deleting the cache will technically clear some internal space, but it's not going to give you any performance. Apps will actually run slower if they don't have things in the cache.

Like on your computer when you go online, webpages are cached and then the next time you visit them, some of the data is already remembered by your computer, and they will load faster for you. If you delete all your internet files and caches and start visiting some of your usual websites, they would load slower because none of the data is in the cache already.

10. flyinjoe13

I'm not looking to speed up performance. I'm looking to free up space for apps. It's a mute point anyways because I did a little test. I flashed my backup ROM where I only had 102mb of space and then wiped the partition cache only and that opened up 20mb of free internal storage space.

11. darkxsun

darkxsun Well-Known Member

My take on that is this:

If you're running so close to filling the storage that you need to delete caches just to install something, your phone is probably going to run like crap (because when it tries to build those caches again, it won't have space to fit them all, meaning it'll have to do a kind of swapping routine... constantly deleting old caches and building new ones).