Can you downgrade from 2.2 by flashing?

Last Updated:

1. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Given the number of little bugs and issues being reported with 2.2, I'm actually a bit wary of installing it on my phone.

I have an Orange phone which I debraded by flashing the generic ROM. I was wondering - if I install 2.2 and then don't like it, can I revert back by re-flashing the original generic ROM again or won't the installer let me "downgrade" like this?

Advertisement
  2. teppic74

teppic74 Well-Known Member

Normally you wouldn't be able to, but there is a special version of stock 2.1 that fakes its version as 2.2. This will let you downgrade the phone to hboot 0.80 and 2.1 (build 1.21.405.2) using the bootloader.

If your phone is an SLCD model you'll break the display by doing this downgrade.

3. knudsen81

knudsen81 Well-Known Member

here is the guide [HOW-TO] downgrade HBOOT 0.92 to 0.80 again - xda-developers

Paranoid_Android101 likes this.
  4. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ah thanks for the info but sounds a bit too involved for me. I'm not rooted or anything and was just wondering if the standard HTC flasher utility (the RUU...exe) would allow "downgrading". Obviously not.

5. teppic74

teppic74 Well-Known Member

The downgrade itself is using a standard RUU (with a goldcard). You need to root afterwards to fix a problem with it, but then you can flash whatever you want.