• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can you download apps on older iOS?

Hello guys,

I used to be an apple fan until apple let me down with my iPhone 3G. I used to be able to download apps from the App Store on my iPhone until Apple decided to no longer support my ios which is making my iPhone obsolete and basically forcing me to get a new iPhone. :-(

So now, I am considering an andriod phone. I was wanting to know if you could download apps on ios 2.3.7 all the way to 4.2.2? Or does andriod leave you behind like apple?

Your subject line and text say "iOS" when I think you're asking about Android. I'll assume that's the case.

My phone runs Android 2.3.5 and almost every app in the Play store and Amazon appstore is available. I can also acquire apps from a variety of other sources and install them on my phone. If Google ever decides to stop supporting my version I can still get apps elsewhere.

I'm sure there are some apps designed only to work with newer versions but I haven't found any that I want or need.

I thought Apple allows you to update your iOS...was that not an option?

Upvote 0
On Android, its not about whether Google stops support for older OS, but whether developers will. For example, Facebook works across almost all versions of Android. But newer apps taking advantage of newer features of the OS like Helium Backup will not work on older Android versions. Heck you can still use Android 1.0 now and still get some apps from Play Store.

Upvote 0
Your subject line and text say "iOS" when I think you're asking about Android. I'll assume that's the case.

My phone runs Android 2.3.5 and almost every app in the Play store and Amazon appstore is available. I can also acquire apps from a variety of other sources and install them on my phone. If Google ever decides to stop supporting my version I can still get apps elsewhere.

I'm sure there are some apps designed only to work with newer versions but I haven't found any that I want or need.

I thought Apple allows you to update your iOS...was that not an option?
Apple does allow you to update your iOS, and some many apps require modern revision of iOS to run. However! There's a cutoff point for the older iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches - they cannot get the most modern versions. As a result, they cannot run some apps. As apps continually update, eventually these older devices can run less and less of apps of the appstore, until - they become outmoded.

Upvote 0
Sure 1.0 would have been prototypes, back from before Google bought the Android company and OS. Think there was an HTC that was 1.1. The first widely available phones were 1.5 Cupcake and 1.6 Donut AFAIK.

That's what I figured, the first commercially available phones were already running 1.5. I still have my wife's old T-Mobile G1, and even that right out the gate started with 1.5/1.6. It's currently relegated to alarm clock duties, though. :p

Upvote 0
FYI someone managed to get JB onto a HTC Dream, aka the G1 awhile back, not sure how since it has like, 190mb RAM? ICS iirc requires at least 256.

That said, back when I had my first iPhone, then a new 3GS, I remember the app store on the first iPhone no longer working, essentially saying the device is too old. However, Apple does seem to have rather long life cycles on their products, but using something that old today is like using a 486 computer these days. Most would not hold onto old tech that long...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones