Can you easily change a person from "phone" to "google" as contact type?Support

Last Updated:

1. anleva

anleva Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I bought my EVO today they synced my contacts from my Verizon phone to my EVO. It looks like they are all in my phone as "phone" instead of "google" as contact type. So none of them sync to my gmail account. Is there anyway to easily change the designation so they sync instead of having to reenter them individually?

Advertisement
  2. WaSTeLaNd

WaSTeLaNd Well-Known Member

If I think I'm understanding you correctly go to a contact hit edit and you should see it at the top where it says phone click that and you should be able to change it

Sorry go to add new contact change it from there and it should change all the contacts

3. anleva

anleva Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If you select an invidual name in the upper right it says either "phone" or "google". I have not found a way to edit or change that.

When you enter a new contact you can designate either "phone" or "google". But that designation is specific to that contact. It does not change it for all contacts that I can see.

4. rattiya

rattiya New Member

I had the same problem. You can export you contacts to the SD card. Then import them back from the SD card. When you do you have the option to import to the Google account of your choice. You may want to remove all the contacts from the phone prior to importing as you will have your contacts listed twice.

Tempusfugit likes this.
  5. joehornback

joehornback Well-Known Member

I had this same problem coming from a 'dumb' phone. I eventually just re-entered all of my contacts in google (on the web using my computer) and the phone synced up with them, then I deleted all of the (phone) contacts from my phone. It was the hard long way of doing it, but now I'll never have to worry about it again, I have all my stuff in the great google cloud now! :)

6. tx_dbs_tx

tx_dbs_tx Active Member

This is the best answer and the only way i have found to accomplish this.

7. OhioGuy89

OhioGuy89 Well-Known Member

What is the difference between having your contacts in Google or your phone? What are the pros/cons?

8. tx_dbs_tx

tx_dbs_tx Active Member

The difference is simple. If you have a google gmail account you can save your contacts to the google cloud and they will automatically get backed up and sync depending on your sync settings. Your Google account aka your Gmail account contains all of your contacts both email and personal phone contacts. It's best to get on your computer and sign into your gmail account and manage all your contacts that way initially. You can manually set which contacts you want to sync to your phone as well as edit and enter new contacts' information. Then on your Android phone you add your main google sync account by going into settings: sync settings or when first running phone setup on a new Android phone. Once you sign in, all your contacts will automatically sync to your phone and will appear in your contacts list. Its best to manually enter all your contacts on your computer first as I said before and delete your entire phonebook on your phone and then resync so not to have duplicates.

Phone contacts are simply contacts saved on your phone itself and are not set to automatically sync with your google account. If you wipe your phone you lose those phone contacts therefore export all your contacts to your sd card for a backup. You can export all of your contacts to your micro sd memory card for safe keeping but remember that phone contacts are not stored in your google account so if you want them added to your google account then you will have to save each new contact as a google contact not a phone contact. Phone contacts must be manually added to your google account if you want them to sync to your phone automatically. Do it via your pc because I dont think there is a way to change a phone contact to a google sync contact using the EVO. It should definetely be an included feature but its not as far as I can tell... which is what this thread is about

Hope this clears it up for you.