Can you expand the power buttons 'phone options' - without a theme

Last Updated:

1. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I wonder if there is a way to expand the power buttons "phone options" with things like 'reboot' for example. Yes, I know some themes have this ability, but I am looking just to expand the power button offerings and wonder if there is a root option or file edit or something can do so.

Not interested in installing a theme just for this, they are not my gig, so I will pass on that as an option - so if the answer is no then, no worries.

Advertisement
  2. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

You mean like how CyanogenMod lets you choose reboot, reboot recovery, reboot bootloader, and whatnot from the power menu? I don't believe this is a theme-able thing. This is something that's buried away in the actual code. Far beyond my scope of knowledge for sure. If you really want to pursue it, ask a dev.

You could also place a GScript script on your homescreen if you reboot a lot. The commands would be reboot or reboot recovery, which you'd have to do as su. Note that ROM Manager also has a reboot recovery button built-in. These aren't as elegant as options built into the power menu, I realize, but it's the best you can do without tinkering in the wonderful world of source code.

3. Lock-N-Load

I figured as much. just wondered if maybe there was a metamorph or some other not theme option. I dont mind doing some tinkering, to a degree.

4. shadowdude777

Oh, me either, I love tinkering, but it's hard to know what to change. It doesn't seem like there's enough information about it out there.

5. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

well I believe most if not all of the ROM's stock versions have that ability. I know that LFY 1.9 does on the stock ROM

6. Lock-N-Load

also not really into those ROMS.. which is why I use FRG01B still. vanilla ROM just rooted. ROMs like you suggest take to many other liberties I am not into with GUI and such, so I steer clear and try to do 1 by 1 things - like this - here and there.

but thanks.

7. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

I see what you are getting at now...good luck

8. shadowdude777

Have you tried CyanogenMod? I find our tastes in these matters are similar. CyanogenMod doesn't screw with anything that doesn't need to be screwed with and keeps the vanilla Android look all-around, but you still get a lot of nice features like the Galaxy S-like bar along the top of the notifications bar that lets you toggle pretty much everything on the phone without going into settings or having a dedicated widget.

If you aren't interested of course, that's cool, but I'm just suggesting you try it out if you haven't tried out CM before.

9. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

I have been wondering this too. I use an Evo 4G, and I really want to add '4G Network' into this easily and always accessible list right next to 'Mobile Network'. I dislike having to dig through the settings to get to 4G settings. I wouldn't mind adding 'Brightness' controls to it as well.

I'm not rooted or ever messed with themes, but might be willing to take the dive if I can add this awesome accessibility to my phone.

10. shadowdude777

I'm almost certain you can. CyanogenMod 6.1 has a feature where you can place certain toggles in the notification pulldown shade. It's not the power menu, but if you can flash CM6.1 on the Evo (and I'm almost positive you can, it's an incredibly popular phone so it should be supported), you can do it through the pulldown shade.

Root. It's good for you. :)