Can You go Screen ComandoGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Hawkmech

Hawkmech Active Member This Topic's Starter

I dont like the idea of a screen protector but my question is have some of you not used them and gotten by without scratching the screen as long as you are careful?
    Had planned on keeping mine in my pocket without anything else in my pocket to scratch it?

Advertisement
  2. ttamnedlog

ttamnedlog Well-Known Member

I have no intention of using a case or a screen protector. I'm very careful with my things, and I have insurance just in case.

Of course you have to judge for yourself how clumsy or careful you tend to be.

Outatime likes this.
  3. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

I am very clumsy, and generally not very cautious, but I do not have a screen protector nor do I plan on getting one. I have not had any issues yet...

4. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Oooooo, I gotta subscribe to this thread and see how long it takes before you guys realize these screens can and will scratch...

5. bwthor

bwthor Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend it. I had a screen protector on mine, but removed it since I'm waiting for a replacement phone due to a charge port problem. I now have two really fine scratches, and one about 3/16" long that is deep enough to feel with my fingernail. I keep it in my pocket, and have absolutely no idea how it could have been scratched. I have the Steinheil protectors hanging in my office so they can be applied to my replacement unit ASAP.

6. jasperwill

jasperwill Well-Known Member

LOL

currently i dont have a screen protector or a case. im looking at maybe buying a pouch to keep it in while its in my pocket.
    all the reviews for screen protectors ive read either say that they make the screen fuzzy or sticky to the touch or something. i really like how my screen looks and feels right now and im worried that i will lose these things if i get a plastic sheet to put over it.

7. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

My Incs entirely naked. I don't do anything special to protect it. However, I also don't care about nearly invisible scratches etc. My phone just has to work perfectly for about 2 years. I'm not an apple fanboi so it doesn't have to be sparkly and all or it loses it's entire purpose.

To each their own.

8. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I never put mine in my pocket... Ever.

9. mrjerryk

mrjerryk Well-Known Member

If you get a good screen protector you won't even notice there's one on there. Why chance it really? I will be getting a good case and screen protector for mine. I am pretty careful with everything I have but there have been times when I get off work at 5am and drop the phone getting out of my truck. We all know what happens then. My fat ass is on the ground with my lighter looking under the truck for my phone.

10. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

Mine was naked for a week and got a small scratch... get a good screen protector and take ur time putting it on and you will never notice its there

11. j-money

j-money Well-Known Member

I'm currently using the amzer cross hatch style case/combo or just keeping the phone in my pocket with no screen protector. So far no scratches, I did have the VZW screen protector but took it off after week or so. Screen Is much nicer naked. Plus I hated feeling the lip of it whenever I would pull down the notification bar.

I might try again with the VZW protector just for peace of mind when its in my pocket, unholstered. It's a good thing they give u 3 I guess!

12. j-money

j-money Well-Known Member

I'm currently using the amzer cross hatch style case/combo or just keeping the phone in my pocket with no screen protector. So far no scratches, I did have the VZW screen protector but took it off after week or so. Screen Is much nicer naked. Plus I hated feeling the lip of it whenever I would pull down the notification bar.

I might try again with the VZW protector just for peace of mind when its in my pocket, unholstered. It's a good thing they give u 3 I guess!

13. Liquoredolce

Liquoredolce Well-Known Member

Naked and lovin it!

I've had it since the day it came out without a scratch. I always keep it in my pocket (alone) with the screen facing my leg (t's become a habit, so it's always that way now). I have no insurance, but will keep a case on it just incase it drops. Screen will stay forever naked though.

14. Kaputnik

Kaputnik Member

My screen is naked and I don't plan on getting a protector for it. I've had my Incredible for over a month and it's fine, no scratches at all. I've never scratched the screen on any of my phones so I don't think this one will be any different.

15. Lefort1

Lefort1 Well-Known Member

Gorilla glass baby!

16. Dokk

Dokk Member

The steinheil crystal clear protectors are just like having a bare screen without the worry about scratching your $600 piece of equipment. Spend the 10 minutes to apply it right and you'll never notice it's there.

17. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Single Grain of Sand Baby!

18. fish2587

fish2587 Well-Known Member

nexus one sleeve baby!

19. upther

upther Well-Known Member

I'm partially naked with the exception of the VZW shell, don't use the holster. I like it better this way. I'm always careful with my stuff. Haven't used one on any of me previous touch screen devices, Archos 605 WiFi and LG Vu. Don't know why I'd start now.

20. marcelob

marcelob Well-Known Member

It's NOT gorilla glass, at least not the same type used on the Droid.

21. jasperwill

jasperwill Well-Known Member

theres a whole thread on this somewhere... the reps at HTC all gave different answers to the question "does the incredible have gorilla glass"
    lol
    but im off topic...
    i think im going to get a case and a screen protector. but first i need to look into getting a 2150 mah battery. after that i can look into cases.
    screen protector i need one that i wont notice even when using rubber gloves. the screen sticks to the gloves enough while trying to swipe it already. any ideas?

22. ORDarksideD

ORDarksideD Active Member

I contacted Corning about this a while back to see if they would verify if Gorilla Glass was used in the Incredible and got the following response:

"Good morning and thank you for your interest in Corning.

We are currently on over 150 devices that have been introduced into the market.

Some we are permitted to talk about openly and some we're not based on agreements we have with specific OEM's.

Best Regards-"

I love how no one will verify if the Incredible uses Gorilla Glass or not, but from what I've seen they clearly don't or if they do it isn't of the same quality as what's used in other devices.

23. amswink

amswink Well-Known Member

I got a package of crystal clears just before my phone arrived. I'm a complete noob at protective films, so I f'ed both of them up. I kept getting confused about which piece was the actual film, so naturally, I got both of them covered in dust. In the meantime, I got the films from the VZW store. They come in packages of 3, and they're super easy to put on, and they're not nearly as finicky about dust. However, you lose a bit of screen quality -- they're not as clear, and maybe don't allow for as much touch responsiveness. I don't mind how they look, but I'm sure there are people out there who would think they look heinous. I've ordered a 2nd package of crystal clears, and I'm determined to put them on correctly. Hopefully, the screen protection I have now won't allow for much dust to accumulate, and it will be much easier.

ETA: I'm not so much concerned with scratches as I am fingerprints. I hate nasty greasy fingerprints on my screen. The protectors from VZW don't allow a lot of that, so I'm satisfied with them. I'd just like to have a little more clarity, which is why I'd like to use crystal clears.

24. lowkey

lowkey Active Member

I beat the hell out of a 1G iPhone with no screen protector for over two years. Multiple drops on concrete, pocketed, knocked around, whatever, I was certainly never careful with it. I can wet a cotton cloth, wipe down the display really good, and there are only a handful of very fine scratches that are not even close to noticeable when the display is on, and can only be seen when it's off when a light is reflecting directly off of the display.

I really think you guys underestimate how tough smartphone displays are these days. The display on the 1G iPhone isn't anything special, either.

I don't plan on babying my Incredible at all, and I'm sure it'll be fine.

25. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Well-Known Member

Naked since day 1. Eris was naked prior to that. Haven't gotten a scratch. Phone is always in my pocket. I have tried numerous protectors but I hate the way the feel of the screen changes.