Can you guys help me improve my experience?

Last Updated:

1. mattcnz

mattcnz Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am new to android and i am really struggling with what battery tricks to do and don't do.

My battery lasted from 6:30am to 12:00 (5.5 hours). My two biggest battery drainers were "cell standby" 33%, and "android system" 29%. I have email, facebook, twitter, and weather set for reasonable sync times: 2 and 4 hours.

This battery drain occurred at school where it is basically a bomb shelter and I float between 0-1-2 bars of service.

I don't want to have all data off i think 2-4 hours sync is fair. What can i do to improve my battery life?

I have only fully charged the battery twice. will my battery life improve with more charges?

I could really use alot help any tricks or tips.

Thank you in advance.

Also i did the trick to log out of google talk but when i go to running services it is always there. Any help with this?

Advertisement
  2. chasers

chasers Well-Known Member

heres the battery fix thread. http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/99223-possible-battery-fix-htc.html

3. clambert1273

clambert1273 Well-Known Member

if it is constantly searching for signal or in a poor signal area (such as your school) then it is going to put a drain on the battery :(

4. neoshi

neoshi Well-Known Member

you might want to consider just going into airplane mode during school, otherwise, low signal areas can't really be dealt with on our side

5. MaxPower

MaxPower Active Member

clambert knows what she is talking about.
    If you are somewhere that you don't get signal, your battery will die.
    Then your screen will fall off.

6. Dr.Evo

Dr.Evo Active Member

LOL @ Then your screen will fall off :D

OP - While you're in the bomb shelter, navigate to Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks. Uncheck "Mobile Network". Don't forget to turn it back on when you want 3g data.

Or, if your school has wifi, set it up on your phone and get it connected. This disables 3g by default and saves you battery life.

There are plenty of other voodoo tricks out there. I've tried a bunch. So far, the best results I've seen have centered around minimizing the use of 3g and disabling some services that constantly check for updates (or reducing their frequencies).

In a few days, after I'm done playing with more voodoo tricks, I'll post what I believe is the optimal setup for long life.. Of course, it will be subjective, because no-one uses their phone the same way or for the same things. But I think I'll be able to offer an educated foundation to start with.

7. CoachEVO

CoachEVO Well-Known Member

Same thing with my Pre. Gotta use Airplane if you are in a situation like that. My Pre went the whole day (obviously), but the point is that after school, I could use the thing on my hour drive home. Had a car charger as well, but used to like to "push the envelope" like Kramer did with the car dealer on the empty tank! :)

8. jmxp69

jmxp69 Well-Known Member

Or just add the mobile network widget to your homescreen. Turning mobile network off when you don't need it will definitely save battery. I turn mine off while commuting, and while working. Try it.