Can you just leave the battery charging past full or is that bad for it?Support

Last Updated:

1. shark974

shark974 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Like when you charge, it notifies you when it's done, after like an hour or two.

Does it matter if you just say, left it charging overnight? Will it hurt anything?

There are times I'd just rather plug it in and go to bed and such.

Advertisement
  2. rfound

rfound Well-Known Member

Just go to bed and forget it.

3. bmoliver

bmoliver Well-Known Member

I leave it on my computer overnight with no problems. It probably just stops charging when that notice pops up.

4. Smoghog

Smoghog Well-Known Member

The real problem is that the notice pops up and it stops accepting charge before it's truly reached 100% most of the time... There have been a few posts regarding recalibrating the battery and/or monitoring it, all are worth checking out if you're interested.

I, personally, leave mine plugged in until I feel like using it. It would be nice if we could just turn that notification off completely.

5. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

i think the notification pops up and it stops charging, then once it drops 3% or so it starts again to keep from overcharging. i believe that is how it works

6. Smoghog

Smoghog Well-Known Member

That makes sense, I just dislike the fact that If I unplug it right when that notification pops up, it goes from "Fully Charged" to "97%" immediately...

Oh, and GO HOGS, BTW. =)

7. Rred

Rred Well-Known Member

Shark, most consumer electronics are designed for "overnight" charging and the charger is matched to the battery capacity, so that it can be left on 'float" charge indefinitely with no harm.

The better stuff, going back at least a decade, uses "smart" chargers that also stop charging when the battery is full, i.e. genuine Motorola chargers did this for the Startacs and older phones. No-name chargers didn't.

So it shouldn't be any problem for the battery.

OTOH, these phones use lithium batteries and those have been known to overheat and catch fire or explode while charging. Worse problem with no-name Chinese junk, but even brand names like Sony have had problems and recalls. So it is safer FOR YOU to unplug chargers overnight or when you won't be there, just in case.

The fires are rare, but all you need is one to ruin your day.

8. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

@Rred

Welcome!

9. epracmetcon

epracmetcon New Member

That would be a lithium polymer battery, not a lithium ion battery. Lithium polymer batteries are still fairly uncommon in consumer products still because of that reason.