• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can You Please Explain What's So Great About Open Home?

Open home is to change the theme design for your phone. If you go into the market and down load some of the themes they have for that specific opp and load them you will see the difference. It is fun for a minute but then it got annoying to me (I was using PandaHome) because it would always force close or slow the phone down to a crawl. Annoyed me.

Upvote 0
The open home itself does change your launcher so you have to redo your apps on your screens initially but really the main thing is that it gives a resource to use all the other themes, wallpapers, icon packs that work with open home. It's the same concept as any other home/launcher alternative.

personally I didn't care for it all that much after I tried it. I like Helix Launcher :)

Upvote 0
The open home itself does change your launcher so you have to redo your apps on your screens initially but really the main thing is that it gives a resource to use all the other themes, wallpapers, icon packs that work with open home. It's the same concept as any other home/launcher alternative.

personally I didn't care for it all that much after I tried it. I like Helix Launcher :)

^^What he Said!

Upvote 0
+2 HelixLauncher2

Personally I think Openhome/ahome/pandahome are all aesthetically offensive; many of them have dock bars/enhancements that just look ugly. Their method of theming is inelegant and doesn't compare to real themes achievable by root access.

I would go for simpler, more minimalistic home replacements like Helix or home++ that are all about giving you more functionality (more homescreens, unintrusive and intuitive dock bar), or the sweet little modded thing I'm currently using:

adwlauncher2.png
homepreviews.png

Upvote 0
After seeing everyone rave about Open Home, I went ahead and bought it, but now I'm unsure what to do with it. It just replaces the current "home?" That's it?

I have to add back my shortcuts to the new home screens?

Please, if I'm missing something, enlighten me.

Don't forget that one of the extras you get with Open Home is a backdoor for any malicious app to own your phone, key log your secure banking/shopping, make calls, use your data etc. Android Widgets: Security Threat With Open Home | G1 News

Upvote 0
Which bit in particular? The clock is Beautiful Widget with the "Home plus" skin; the power control widget was pulled from this theme (use metamorph); the launcher is HelixLauncher2, and the black bar as well as the app icons are part of NexTheme. The themes are made to be N1-compatible, but I'm sure you can find Droid ports.

Thanks, was looking for the power control widget skin.

Upvote 0
The only thing I ever liked about open home was the favorites drawer. I am partial to sweeter home for a home replacement personally although it is still a bit unstable. The latest update is almost perfect finally. Gotta say, Grainysand, I really like your background though. Is is a personal picture or something you would be willing to share? I am referring to the first one with the orange color in it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones