Can you receive OTA's over WiFi only (Phone Not Activateded)

Last Updated:

1. PetiePal

PetiePal Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone!

I've got a Motorola Droid, but I also have a Droid X and an HTC Incredible a friend who works for Verizon sent me. My stock Droid has been running out of internal memory forever and I've been toying with switching my phone over to the Incredible or X. However I really want to mess around with 2.2 on both devices as I've heard some really great and bad things.

Now neither phone is activated on Verizon Wireless. I keep them both in Airplane mode for the time being and just enable wireless to putz around with some apps when I need to.

Anyone know if I can update both to 2.2 over WiFi? Would the update work if I had the 3G radio on?

Advertisement
  2. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Yes, you can. All you need is an internet connection for the OTA to come through. I updated to 2.2 (on the N1) via Wifi :)

3. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

Beat me to it lol

4. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

I thought I did mine over 3G. Am I nuts?

5. PetiePal

Awesome I"ll give it a run tonight on both devices. I thought after the 2.2 update I couldn't get it on my Incredible for some reason but maybe it just hadn't rolled out to "everyone" which still mattered even if you were on WiFi.

I'm trying to really decide which I should switch to if I switch at all. My Droid is just getting too slow. I'm not a huge fan of Sense, and MotoBlur is kinda annoying...BUT the Droid X is fast, and the keyboard is ridiculously accurate. I barely use the slide out keyboard (my main reason for getting the Droid) except for like Gem Miner Dig Deeper hehe and I can play that all touch if need be. I just wonder if I'll be able to keep the X in my pocket lol it's so big

6. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

AFAIK, you will not be able to get the OTA update on the Incredible, since Verizon has to "push" that update and it only comes through on 3G.

However, as many have stated, the DX can "pull" the update whenever there is an active connection.

7. PetiePal

Got it. Good to know. I may deactivate a spare line at work then, activate it on that phone, pull the update and deactivate again hehe. That should clear it.

8. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Oh yeah...I forgot about the carrier thing :eek: *whistles innocently*

9. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

The one thing I think that will be interesting to find is if neither of the phones is registered with Verizon, I'm wondering if they'll even be able to access the OTA upgrades. Or will Verizon's servers see the MEID, determine that it's not active in Verizon's database, and reject the request.

10. PetiePal

They were registered with Verizon Wireless and a number initially, but have since been deactivated...so we'll see