• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] Can you recommend a ROM for my ZTE-owning buddy?

It'll break it. You'll lose transparency and the names of the apps will come out weird (example- mms will say something like "%-call" if they boot. He's already pretty much did everything to it that bobo did when he noobed it anyways. Swipe to clear, download text color fix, etx. Also setting.apk will probably get screwed up as well. There are a lot of dependencies you would have to bring over with it such as android policy as well as framework.jar that have been modified. Also you would lose UOT compatibility because he changed his arrays in the latest frameres.

Wow. I didn't know it would mess it up that much. Thanks for the in depth explanation!

Reactions: LilBit
Upvote 0
If your friend has any issues or suggestions for the rom please let me know

So my friend really wanted to stay on droidsmith but we flashed to warp oem for the sole reason that he had to have his live wallpaper and I could not figure out how to get it working. I managed to crash warp oem three times last night and make it run really laggy, but droidsmith seemed to be solid on both glitch and alien kernals. It's possible titanium backup caused the instability in warp since I inadvertently tried to restore some system apps.

So yeah please fix live wallpapers, or if they do work and I screwed up the rom with titanium backup then please let me know as I'll have to flash a stock rom before flashing droidsmith back on. I've wiped cache and done reset in recovery and the phone still shows the custom splash from noob rom, so the stock rom will probably clear that off as well as any conflict that could be borking live wallpapers. His wallpaper works just fine in warp oem. We did not care for noob.

Upvote 0
So my friend really wanted to stay on droidsmith but we flashed to warp oem for the sole reason that he had to have his live wallpaper and I could not figure out how to get it working. I managed to crash warp oem three times last night and make it run really laggy, but droidsmith seemed to be solid on both glitch and alien kernals. It's possible titanium backup caused the instability in warp since I inadvertently tried to restore some system apps.

So yeah please fix live wallpapers, or if they do work and I screwed up the rom with titanium backup then please let me know as I'll have to flash a stock rom before flashing droidsmith back on. I've wiped cache and done reset in recovery and the phone still shows the custom splash from noob rom, so the stock rom will probably clear that off as well as any conflict that could be borking live wallpapers. His wallpaper works just fine in warp oem. We did not care for noob.

With warp oem, download from play store... titanium has caused issues restoring apps... otherwise you should have no issues. It's fast, stable and full of features! If you have issues, start from scratch. Wipe data (factory reset) wipe cache and dalvik. Flash rom, reboot. Then install apps from play store. This should take care of your problems.

Reactions: mercury0x000d
Upvote 0

I can make a flashible zip to restore the wall papers

Upvote 0
He says it's smaller. I wouldn't necessarily know. I tried pushing a stock XT9 keyboard to droidsmith with titanium backup but that keyboard immediately crashes if you try to use it. I tried to give him the awesome keyboard I use but it's light-themed and he wants it dark. I'll help him check the play store sometime for something he'll like since with the case he has, it's definitely difficult to accurately hit any key either on the bottom row or touching the sides, in portrait or landscape.

But yeah his phone's pimpin now with droidsmith 1.3. We've got the alien 3 ds kernel, powernap applied and clocked to 1.8 smartassv2, 3g optimized by 12/28/7. It pulled over 5700 on antutu so it's definitely much faster than stock (he pulled 4422 on stock). Responsiveness is superb and neither of us have managed to crash it yet. We'll let you know if we pull that off. He's not pleased that he can't run his live wallpaper yet but he's much happier with how the system is running now than with stock. Warp oem somehow ended up significantly less stable than when his phone was unstable on stock, which is weird for such a hyped build. I'm not sure how I broke that rom, but for the record warp oem fps-uncapped/unpatched gives some seriously choppy performance - very distracting.

If you know how to clear out noob rom's initial gray bootsplash without reflashing the whole droidsmith rom afterwards please let me know. I saw a default-bootsplash zip update on the noob rom thread, but I've messed up changing boot splashes before and I'm just not trying to bootloop a phone that isn't mine with an update that won't work.

Upvote 0
That was/is, an Awesome post t.burnator!!! :congrats: The choppiness in warp oem is caused by the powernap feature, mercury has a fix for it,:) and I see Mr.Bobo has you hooked up with the original boot-splash. :D

I've tried to purposely crash my Warp too, so far, I can't!! :thumb: It really is a great phone, after it's tweaked out!! :beer:

Reactions: jimsmith80
Upvote 0
He says it's smaller. I wouldn't necessarily know. I tried pushing a stock XT9 keyboard to droidsmith with titanium backup but that keyboard immediately crashes if you try to use it. I tried to give him the awesome keyboard I use but it's light-themed and he wants it dark. I'll help him check the play store sometime for something he'll like since with the case he has, it's definitely difficult to accurately hit any key either on the bottom row or touching the sides, in portrait or landscape.

But yeah his phone's pimpin now with droidsmith 1.3. We've got the alien 3 ds kernel, powernap applied and clocked to 1.8 smartassv2, 3g optimized by 12/28/7. It pulled over 5700 on antutu so it's definitely much faster than stock (he pulled 4422 on stock). Responsiveness is superb and neither of us have managed to crash it yet. We'll let you know if we pull that off. He's not pleased that he can't run his live wallpaper yet but he's much happier with how the system is running now than with stock. Warp oem somehow ended up significantly less stable than when his phone was unstable on stock, which is weird for such a hyped build. I'm not sure how I broke that rom, but for the record warp oem fps-uncapped/unpatched gives some seriously choppy performance - very distracting.

If you know how to clear out noob rom's initial gray bootsplash without reflashing the whole droidsmith rom afterwards please let me know. I saw a default-bootsplash zip update on the noob rom thread, but I've messed up changing boot splashes before and I'm just not trying to bootloop a phone that isn't mine with an update that won't work.

The keyboard is the stock android keyboard which has been updated so that suggestive text works. It is by no means the xt9 board that comes with the warp. If you would like instructions on how to install the xt9 keyboard I am happy to help, but as far as I know this is a feature most warpers don't want

Upvote 0
I'm anticipating for my friend to want instructions to install XT9 keyboard, since the android keyboard really is too small to type easily with his phone secured inside its massive case. I see that XT9 was default in ZTE Warp stock and I doubt he knows how to change the keyboard at will, so that must be what he was using. The XT9 definitely did not install properly on droidsmith via titanium restore.

I put the powernap script in the init.d2 folder. I'm not sure where I found the init.d2 folder but I dropped the powernap script in there and did chmod 644. I'm not sure if the script is running because there's no choppiness like there was on warp oem, but I had thought that choppiness came from a lack of a gpu fps cap. Not sure what's going on with that, I think the powernap is active, but let's face it - that smartassv2 governor is really sweet, so even if the phone isn't napping with screen off that smartass knows what it's doing for sure.

But yeah, dude's really looking forward to getting live wallpaper working on his ds 1.3. So please let us know when that zip drops and thanks.

Upvote 0
I'm anticipating for my friend to want instructions to install XT9 keyboard, since the android keyboard really is too small to type easily with his phone secured inside its massive case. I see that XT9 was default in ZTE Warp stock and I doubt he knows how to change the keyboard at will, so that must be what he was using. The XT9 definitely did not install properly on droidsmith via titanium restore.

I put the powernap script in the init.d2 folder. I'm not sure where I found the init.d2 folder but I dropped the powernap script in there and did chmod 644. I'm not sure if the script is running because there's no choppiness like there was on warp oem, but I had thought that choppiness came from a lack of a gpu fps cap. Not sure what's going on with that, I think the powernap is active, but let's face it - that smartassv2 governor is really sweet, so even if the phone isn't napping with screen off that smartass knows what it's doing for sure.

But yeah, dude's really looking forward to getting live wallpaper working on his ds 1.3. So please let us know when that zip drops and thanks.

It sounds like you know your way around a bit. To fire up power nap pernissons need to be set to 755. If you have the livewallpaers.apk all you need to do is push to /system/app, then set permissions to 644, and reboot

Reactions: mercury0x000d
Upvote 0

You are correct, the choppiness is caused by not having the FPS cap enabled; nothing to do with PowerNap. In the OP on the Warp OEM thread, I have a smoothness fix patch which remedies the issue, albeit at a minor speed hit. Also, Warp OEM works best when installed from a blank device, and with the apps freshly installed after.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: LilBit and Doc
Upvote 0

I just noticed that MrBobo has a zip for his noob rom to restore the live wallpapers. That should take care of the wallpaper issue for you.

Upvote 0
Live wallpaper is working, thanks. Permissions changed for powernap, too soon to tell on that one. It's fun to play with different 3g/4g Optimizer settings and check out the different performance linegraphs that speedtest.net produces.

Where can I get an XT9 keyboard zip for flashing????

By the way jimsmith80, my buddy is super happy with his warp now and he wanted me to thank you for helping. He was thinking he was going to have to buy a new phone on account of how unstable it had been but now he should be good. I had some fun helping too.

Upvote 0
Live wallpaper is working, thanks. Permissions changed for powernap, too soon to tell on that one. It's fun to play with different 3g/4g Optimizer settings and check out the different performance linegraphs that speedtest.net produces.

Where can I get an XT9 keyboard zip for flashing????

By the way jimsmith80, my buddy is super happy with his warp now and he wanted me to thank you for helping. He was thinking he was going to have to buy a new phone on account of how unstable it had been but now he should be good. I had some fun helping too.

Cool. I'm glad I could help. Since your friend wanted a darker themed keyboard. I would recommend go keyboard as opposed to xt9. You can find it on the market

Upvote 0
I've been using TouchPal as my only keyboard ever since the very first version came out for pocketpc, back when I was using Windows Mobile 5. Ever since I've been on Android I've been using TouchPal as well, only up until now I've been using TouchPal version 4.5.5.12406 build 2010-09-13, ONLY. I had tried to put this keyboard on his phone but he didn't like the light gray theme, so I put the latest TouchPal v5 on my buddy's Warp and tweaked the settings and he absolutely loves it. He says he can type twice as fast now, and I'm like, of course you can - that's the idea. This version of TouchPal is so good that even I've decided to upgrade, even though that old version has more of the advanced logic that I got used to using on pocketpc. So yeah, TouchPal v5. It's so much sweeter than your average keyboard once you figure out how to use it to your full advantage. Cheers.

Upvote 0
P.S. One of those PocketPC version of TouchPal had the ability to predict when the word you typed with the T+ and T12 predictive keypads, that wasn't in the dictionary, was actually TWO words that were in the dictionary put together. For example , if you wanted to type "thebacon" which is a word that is not in the dictionary, using the T12 phone-style keypad, you could press [8][4][3][2][2][6][6] (which is [TUV][GHI][DEF][ABC][ABC][MNO][MNO]), and TouchPal's prediction area would show the single word "thebacon" - only "the" and "bacon" would be highlighted in separated colors. That was some pretty sweet prediction. Too bad they haven't implemented that feature on android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones