• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can you reinstall OS on this phone?

Skybuilder

Lurker
Jul 25, 2012
Here's my issue:

a couple of years ago I bought this phone at the height of it's popularity but I had a seasoned Boostmobile acct that had reduced to $35 mthy. I found a phone that was rooted and flashed to Boost and for two years it has performed well enough (it has been a little quirky because I was told to NEVER update the OS).
Not being tech savvy it was a great phone without many issues. When I started loading it up with apps the memory filled even though I put everything I could on the SD card (dang bloatware wouldn't budge though). I had tons of space available on the card but nothing left in the phone so I installed an app called CleanMaster and must have done the wrong thing because it corrupted most of my most used apps and screwed up some of the phones functionality.

QUESTION IS:
Can everything be wiped and a fresh install (with all the updates) be done???

Please help, the phone is perfect and I'm not ready to spend the money for an upgrade.

Here's my issue:

a couple of years ago I bought this phone at the height of it's popularity but I had a seasoned Boostmobile acct that had reduced to $35 mthy. I found a phone that was rooted and flashed to Boost and for two years it has performed well enough (it has been a little quirky because I was told to NEVER update the OS).
Not being tech savvy it was a great phone without many issues. When I started loading it up with apps the memory filled even though I put everything I could on the SD card (dang bloatware wouldn't budge though). I had tons of space available on the card but nothing left in the phone so I installed an app called CleanMaster and must have done the wrong thing because it corrupted most of my most used apps and screwed up some of the phones functionality.

QUESTION IS:
Can everything be wiped and a fresh install (with all the updates) be done???

Please help, the phone is perfect and I'm not ready to spend the money for an upgrade.
welcome to AF!!!!!!!!!!!!
the os is just software.....so yes you can re-install(flash) the os(rom). all you need to do is find a stock rom from here:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/618281-list-utilities-apps-roms-kernels-og-evo.html, just make sure to do a nandroid backup before flashing a rom. also make sure that you wipe properly.....wipe dalvik cache, cache, and system before flashing a rom.

also you can just wipe dalvik cache, cache and data(factory reset) and reboot the phone. it should wipe the current rom clean without actually wiping the rom as well. just make sure not to wipe system as that is where your rom is at. if you do, you will get a phone that can't boot up as there is no os to boot into.

and lastly you should lool into partitioning you card as well. all of the info you will need from this post can be found here:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html just go to the second post for the info.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones