Can you root a de-activated Eris??

Last Updated:

1. whip357

whip357 New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm trying to root my Eris before I activate with Verizon again. (I had to go to a back-up phone last month). I can't get the SDK or EMA program to work..........following all the directions. It will not "see" my phone.
    Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
  2. T2noob

T2noob Well-Known Member

If you have any questions get on the IRC at irc.thefuzz4.net #erisroothelp
    But about the drivers on windows try installing htc sync, the drivers that htc sync uses, usually fixes the driver problems for me on a new computer.
    HTC Mobile Phone Support - DROID ERIS by HTC (Verizon) - Downloads
    The people who made the EMA usually hang out in the irc and answer questions so if you need help I would check there.

whip357 likes this.
  3. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

To completely root a 1.5 Eris, you need three things:

(0) Be able to put files onto the Eris' SD card.
    (1) Get the S-OFF bootloader installed
    (2) Flash the recovery partition using "fastboot"

In principle, not a single one of these activities require that the normal Eris OS is booted - the only thing which needs to run is the factory bootloader (which gets replaced immediately with the "root" PB00IMG.ZIP file). So, I infer that to mean that (in principle) the activation state of the phone is irrelevant. You could even "root" a phone with a blacklisted ESN, for that matter.

Step (0) could be accomplished if you have a (microSD slot) media reader/writer on your PC. You didn't mention this, so I am assuming that you are nothaving problems getting files onto your SD card. I mention it here just to point out that the phone isn't even needed for this step (if you have the media reader).

Step (1) Occurs when you start the phone by having the "root" PB00IMG.ZIP in the root folder of your SD card, and starting the phone up by pressing Vol-down+End. Again, the normal OS is not in use here.

Step (2) is where you are having trouble, I guess. What is supposed to happen here (using the "fastboot" method), is that your PC will be communicating with the (newly installed S-OFF) bootloader. (To prevent
    step 1 from repeating, you could pull the uSD card before you begin). Again, since the regular OS is not running at this point, it is a little hard to imagine that the activation state of the phone is involved.

I suggest that the problem is with the driver install on the PC, if you are doing everything else correctly. Did you install the USB driver using the SDK (updater) GUI? (What kind of computer & OS version are you using?)

eu1

whip357 likes this.
  4. whip357

whip357 New Member This Topic's Starter

The problem was the HTC driver........I'm now (tear in the eye) R00TED! Thanks to all.

5. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Congrats... and safe travels!