• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can you root like this?

You could also download ROM Manager from the Market and use that, it's one click. It worked for me perfectly, but some folks have had issues where it would work. You can't hurt anything by trying. Try the Clockwork first, then if that doesn't take, then scroll down and try Flash Alternate Recovery.

I had to actually do that to my phone, but after I flashed the Alternate, I went back and did the Clockwork. I don't think it matters, but you need to have the Clockwork to use ROM Manager to install your ROM (CM6 or whichever you choose). Or else you will have to install the ROM manually using Astro, or some type of file manager, but it's no big deal.

Upvote 0
You can use the Universal One-Click root method to root your Sprint HTC Hero first. Then you can install ROM Manager and either Flash ClockworkMod recovery or flash an "alternate recovery" which would be Amon Ra's recovery image.

An alternate way would be to install Terminal Emulator on your Sprint HTC Hero after rooting and then use the command line to flash a recovery image directly. After flashing the recovery image, you can boot into the recovery console and do a Nandroid backup. After that, you are ready to get a custom ROM and flash it to your handset. That is how I understand the process to work, more or less.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones