Can You Set Different Notification Ringtones For Individual Contacts?

Last Updated:

1. pnk_pnthr01

pnk_pnthr01 New Member

I feel a little slow...but i wanted to know if i can have it where everyone has their own notification ringtones or is this impossible?

2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

You can create your own ringtones and then assign that ringtone to any contact
  3. Mr.Android

Mr.Android Member

Pretty simple to do actually. Go into your contacts and select one that you want to have a different ringtone. Press menu and then edit contact. Then under other information there's a dropdown menu that allows you to change the ringtone for that contact. Repeat as necessary for all contacts to have their own personal ring. Hope that helps.
    Jetro, jerryupton, IdoStuff and 2 others like this.
  4. trancemode

trancemode Member

yes you can..
    check in your contacts.
  5. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that's what they were asking for, and I don't think the phone is setup for this.

I had a phone that did this, but all it did was use the same ringtone you assigned to the contact. It was actually really frustrating because I'd go to answer my phone like it was a call and it's a text message. Or I'd think "oh, that' just a text" and the person was calling me. I learned that if you waited it would only "ring" once for a notification, but, some of my ringtones were long enough that I would not find out it was a real call in enough time to actually answer it.
  6. justjimjpc

well i think we are talking about two separate things here .... notification alerts for sms, voice mail, email as opposed to ringtones assignable to a phone contact. The notifications I believe are one thing and are limited .. but ringtones can be almost unlimited and can be generated or purchased, you can edit music clips, make your own recordings and save them as ringtones ... I have a few of my contacts record their own voice and then I make that their individual ringtone, Others I have recorded in my own voice as like : "Hello, this is Bob H. calling answer his call Please" and then just use them as the specific ringtone for that one individual ... works great ....
    olhoni likes this.
  7. HTC

HTC Well-Known Member

lol you guys all fail to answer the million dollar question. just proves that everyone needs to read more carefully. There is no way currently to change personal notification ringtones.

its a system thing too.. as far as i can tell, program developers are helpless in helping to help you help the problem. o.o
  8. justjimjpc

I think "we" might be a bit pompous, in saying no one reads carefully ... in that some of us do not consider a notification alert as a ringtone... and as I said previously..... or maybe you didnt read by response closely ???

9. punkzanyj

Uh, I answered it:

Swizz also answered it:
  10. HTC

HTC Well-Known Member

i was refering to the people above you guys. And plus, justjimjpc & punkzanyj, do you guys want to fight me? I'm 4x as buff on the internet and have mastered the magic missile.

You better recognize.
  11. justjimjpc

HTC .... not even thinking about a fight ... just stating fact ... and When I read your original message you said "lol you guys all fail" ... and that was not exclusive put quite inclusive and therefor what you wrote did Include "All" the people ... so I think punkzanyi and I can accept your correction and retraction... But we still want more from our G1's ... When do we want it ? "We Want It NOW !!!" ... of course because we are anxious and impatient G1ers . :)
  12. HTC

HTC Well-Known Member

I was about to say: "what are you talking about, i did not say you guys all fail", then i scrolled up and saw that i did say that. damn it.

but see now you're including ME in your inclusive statement that we are all anxious and impatient. I'm as patient as a patient in a hospital that has time to be patiently chillin with the other patients. rofflewaffles.

Discussion ended. make me your king.
  13. justjimjpc

Actually had not thought about being so presumptious to include you HTC ... the "we" was more so referring to rest of the "all" :D
  14. punkzanyj

you kids is crazy. You make me laugh!
    It seems to be all cool. and I'm also patient, but no less dorky. :D
  15. pestilence

pestilence Well-Known Member

16. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

17. pestilence

pestilence Well-Known Member

I have it hanging outside my cube at work:)
  18. punkzanyj

just in case someone actually wanted an answer, there is an APP that lets you do this, it's called Ringo. I actually use just that to set my call ringtones and my SMS/MMS notification sounds. Works very well.
    Btrivedi and sixtythree like this.
  19. theway2live

theway2live Member

ringo lite.
    Btrivedi likes this.
  20. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

Agreed I love it. I even have different sounds for the same person's sms or phone call with Ringo. And using Ringroid you can make the sounds from any mp3 on your phone. It's a lot of fun.

One thing it doesn't solve, when a family shares a phone number of a landline it doesn't always know who is calling. I have for example both people as contacts and when the phone rings the phone doesn't always pick the same person's ringtone though the number is the same.
  21. cwaltherp22

cwaltherp22 Member

in message settings how do you put it in silent. i need it for my ringo lite. but i can't find a silent selection. rings extended doesn't work in my hero. but in magic rings extended comes out. thanks
  22. absd

absd New Member

1. Go to Contacts
    2. Select a contact
    3. Click the Menu button
    4. Click Options (there's your X factor right there!)
    5. Go ahead and select a custom ringtone.

Voila :)
    philetus and reilus like this.
  23. BigAl_SC

BigAl_SC Member

does this mean that it will be on all 2.2 phones? Verizon will push soon so may be I don't need look for an app for my dx......
  24. allyn274

allyn274 Member

Is there a way to do the same thing for text message tones - not just ringtones?

Thanks in advance!!!
  25. vamp6x6x6x

vamp6x6x6x Well-Known Member

ty this is exactly what i was looking for.