1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Can You Set Ringtones for Individual Contacts?

1. NetSpeaker

NetSpeaker New Member

Picked up my Droid this morning and cannot figure out how to set a ringtone for calls received from a contact. I can set the general ringtone, but not any contact-specific ringtones.

The manual (page 21) says it is doable:

"Tip: When editing a contact, you can set a ringtone, address, and other details that will be saved on your
    phone."
    but I find nothing in the edit contact screen that lets me select a ringtone for it.

Can anyone give me the steps?

Thanks!

Randy

Advertisement
  2. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

Also, can anyone tell me if you can set individual call ring tones and separate individual text ring tones for particular contacts?
  3. Moose

Moose Active Member

When on the contact, Menu: then Options, rather than edit contact
    copelandt29 likes this.
  4. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

thanks moose
  5. NetSpeaker

NetSpeaker New Member

Thank you so much, Moose. It's been driving me nuts. I thought I tried everything, but missed that. There is is!

Randy
  6. Moose

Moose Active Member

Yeah, not sure why it would be there rather than under edit, but it is.
  7. MysteryloverAnne

MysteryloverAnne Well-Known Member

Also, if you use RingDroid it asks as you create each new ringtone if you want to assign it to a contact.
  8. Robert90262

Robert90262 Member

I been trying for almost a day now thanks soooo much :D
  9. steveg95

steveg95 Member

I went in and set up custom ring tones for 10 of my favorite contacts. However, when they call, it still uses the phone's default ringtone. Seems like it will work right after I assign it, but the next time they call, I get the default.
  10. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member

I've been having similar issues. For example, I use Handcent SMS and I have a specific alert for it. When I get an incoming txt, I get the default alert *plus* the alert I have configured for Handcent.
  11. Hellspawn

Hellspawn Member

what I have had to do is using the astro file manager, pull up the mp3's that you want to use as ringtones, open each one and select "add as ringtone" when you do this, it will automatically add it to your ringtone list in your settings.

once you have all the ringtones you want set, go back into your contacts, select "options" and then ringtone, your list will pull up and you can select them from there and it works 100%

I had used a couple different ringtone apps and for some reason when I "set as ringtone" in the app, it just does not apply correctly to the phone.. seems like something like that will be corrected in future updates for that specific app

I hope all of that made sense.
  12. Hellspawn

Hellspawn Member

I have yet to play with my notifications, but I would assume its going to be similar to ringtones.

create a folder on the root of your SD card named "notifications" and dump all your mp3's in there, you should now be able to use the phones os to assign them with no glitches..

this is all conjecture, so let me know if it works..
  13. steveg95

steveg95 Member

I'll give it a try. Thanks!
  14. Joan

Joan Member

Moose bump!

15. steveg95

steveg95 Member

It is working now. Seems like when I first select the ringtone in contacts, sometimes the next call still uses the phone default, but eventually they all started working correctly.
  16. tokzm

tokzm New Member

Hi guys!
    I'm new here, and I have same problem to assign a different ringtone for a different contact... my smartphone works on android 2.2 and i have followed as you described above... i pulled up the mp3's that I want to use as ringtones, opened each one and selected "add as ringtone". After that I went back into my contacts, and there are only those menues: "search", "delete contact", "new contact" "display options" "accounts" and "import/export" BUT THERE IS NO ONLY "options" .... any help?!? PLEASE