Can you tell when someone reads your Text Message?Support

1. canuckerr

canuckerr Member

Hey guys,

In most IM apps ie. ping, whatsapp, bbm there is a built in feature that lets you know if the person has read your message or not.

EX. BBM
    if Bobby sends a message to Suzy it will look like this;
    "D" - Hi Suzy (D means it was delivered to Suzy's phone)

if suzy reads the message it would look like this on bobby's phone;
    "R" - Hi Suzy

So Bobby essentially know's that one, his message was delivered and two, if suzy has read it.

Now is this possible with text messages? ie. regular SMS texts?
    This guy said it is possible with the Samsung Galaxy as this is a hardware thing and not an OS thing?

Can anyone confirm this?
    I only have a blackberry and would like to confirm as this is very intriguing

Advertisement
    :
  2. micstewart

micstewart Well-Known Member

nope. nothing to do with the phone. SMS has never supported message delivery. The only thing that I can think of that supports this feature cross platform is Liveprofile, although it's a closed system (very similar in operation to BBM only with a lot fewer users)

There was a surge in uptake earlier in the year when they released a client for Blackberry, but I haven't seen much in the press recently.

It uses data to send messages rather than SMS so you need a decent data contract, particularly if you use it to attach files & pictures.

There are probably others out there but hopefully this answers your initial question.
  3. pietjuhhh1990

pietjuhhh1990 Well-Known Member

You can set to get a recieving confirm. but not a read confirm.

This way you can see if they have got it