• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can you turn Sense UI off?

Hiya i asked this over at the HTC Desire Z forum's as that's the phone I'm after, but I'm guessing that these two phones are more or less the same (apart from the Camera & Keyboard)

So Just wondering if anyone knows yet if you can Turn Sense UI Off? I've found a load of topics/videos for turning sense off on the Evo/Desire but not the HD or Z

Thanks in advance :)

You can just install another launcher and not use all of the widgets. That will remove a lot of the sense-y-ness.

LauncherPro is very nice (look in the market).

I can use another Launcher, But i like the 2.1/2.2 Look & feel hence why i want a way to turn it off.

Unless there is a launcher with a 2.1/2.2 theme that anyone knows off?

Upvote 0
I used to have a Hero and you could turn it off on that. In the settings was an 'app' called touchflo and you could switch it off as default, sorry I can't quite remember exactly how but it's probably different on the Desire anyway. I think it still runs in the background for stuff like contacts but the home screen would display the stock Android.

It's not an on/off thing. It's baked into the ROM.

So it looks like on older Android Models with HTC Sense on you could but not on the latest one. Darn It!

Thank you guys for your replys :)

Upvote 0
If the stock launcher is included in your ROM (some sense ROMs include it), then you can switch to it. You can also install it manually, if you want.

But it won't become 100% stock. You'll still have all the HTC apps and the Sense style notification bar.

What do you mean i can install it manually? You mean as a APK file or am i missing something?

I like the HTC Notification bar so i would be fine with that! As long as i got the 2.1/2.2 style home screen & lock screen i would be happy! :)

Upvote 0
What do you mean i can install it manually? You mean as a APK file or am i missing something?

I like the HTC Notification bar so i would be fine with that! As long as i got the 2.1/2.2 style home screen & lock screen i would be happy! :)

Yeah, if you can find the .apk you should be able to just install it as a normal .apk I believe. You won't be able to remove the HTC Sense launcher unless you root though.

Look at this article. People did the same thing with the Evo. You can find the .apk you'll need there too :)

This wouldn't replace the lockscreen though. I don't know if that's possible on a non-rooted handset.

Upvote 0
Yeah, if you can find the .apk you should be able to just install it as a normal .apk I believe. You won't be able to remove the HTC Sense launcher unless you root though.

Look at this article. People did the same thing with the Evo. You can find the .apk you'll need there too :)

This wouldn't replace the lockscreen though. I don't know if that's possible on a non-rooted handset.

Thank you so much for the link & all the information! I think that will be the closest i will get to the Phone running Vanilla/Stock. :)

Thank you again :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones