Can you use a stylus pen like the galaxy note?Support

Last Updated:

SMALBA Well-Known Member

My wife wants a tablet that she can use at school to take notes and draw math equations on. Is there a pen that can be used with the nexus 7? Or are we stuck buying a $500 galaxy note 10?

2. valorian

valorian Well-Known Member

I use a stylus on my N7. I don't use it to draw or do math with thought

SMALBA Well-Known Member

So a stylus would work on the nexus 7? If so what brand and where and how much is it?
  4. valorian

valorian Well-Known Member

SMALBA likes this.
  5. Pappy35

Pappy35 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that, I believe, the Note styii are touch sensitive devices - are able to sense pressure to make thicker or thinner lines in apps that enabled for this for example. The capacitive "pens" simply replace the tip of your finger as a ponting device.

Here's what I found with a Google search: The S Pen is a lot more useful and fun than I thought it would be | PhoneDog

You would need to find an app that would make this function in ways other than a simple pointing device.
  6. annebrooks64

annebrooks64 Well-Known Member

Yes a stylus/pen will work on a nexus 7 with no problem at all. It doesn't matter which brand you buy as long as you make sure it is a capacitive one otherwise it won't work.
  7. wtherrell

wtherrell Well-Known Member

There are plenty of handwriting recognition, note taking, drawing, etc. apps in the playstore that will work with stylus input beyond point and click.
    7Notes with mazec. Pen Supremacy--many other.
  8. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the Note stylus is NOT a capacitive stylus. It's what allows it to have such a fine tip.

A normal capacitive stylus has a large tip because it needs to generate a disruption to the electrical field. The Note has a digitizer in it to do the fine stylus tip.

So, yes, you can use a stylus - but no, you can't use a Note stylus, and you can't use just any stylus. It has to be a stylus for a capacitive screen.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  9. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

I would NOT suggest the nexus 7 for taking notes.

The S-Pens technology is owned by samsung and really if you are going to want to take notes you are going to want to use that.

Regular stylus' aren't nearly precise enough for taking notes.
    starlily likes this.
  10. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

My favorite stylus is the Adonit Jot pro. I bought one a couple of weeks ago for my Galaxy tab plus and now I use it for the Nexus. It's really accurate and it feels like a pen.
  11. CrockettGTO

CrockettGTO Well-Known Member

I also use the Adonit Jot Pro. Great Stylus. The only bummer is that the third party apps available that have partnered with Adonit are for iOS, or at leas the iOS variants are the only ones that leverage the pressure sensitivity and other features.
  12. CYNICALifornia

CYNICALifornia Well-Known Member

I like using a stylus on my N7 for everything but typing. When getting on look at what kind of a tip it has. I prefer the mesh, not the foam, as it glides nice on the screen.
  13. vespa5

vespa5 Active Member

Like someone said earlier, I prefer a stylus using fibermesh vs the rubber tip material. There's less effort needed to write on your screen when using a stylus with a fibermesh tip.