Can you voice dial using a bluetooth headset?Support

Last Updated:

1. jclake

jclake Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does pressing the Bluetooth headset "call" button and then speaking "call John Doe." work with Nexus One? (Essentially making a call without physically touching the phone.)

Advertisement
  2. strictly86

strictly86 Well-Known Member

should do?

3. lds0813

lds0813 Member

I know on the Droid it does not work.

4. hotdogwater

hotdogwater Active Member

Has anyone had any luck making this work with a jawbone v2 headset? I love just to click talk and it open voice dial.

5. lutherinlondon

lutherinlondon Well-Known Member

Nope.. didn't work on my headset.... although I'm sure it did on my bluetooth carkit.... I will check and confirm though.

6. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

It's disabled in Android. As I understand it, the reason was that the voice recognition algorithms Google uses do not work well with the low bitrate audio used by a bluetooth headset, so Google set a flag in their bluetooth software that causes the "attention" button to be ignored.

There's an open issue in the Android bug database about this and a lot of people complaining about it. Whether that's sufficient pressure to get this changed anytime soon is anybody's guess.

7. cabinets

cabinets Well-Known Member

Does this mean it's a possible software update issue? Or hardware?

8. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

Definitely software.

There are two parts: first, they have to enable passing the "attention" signal from the bluetooth headset to whatever software registers itself to be awakened by it. (There is at least one third party dialer -- I forget which, but the developer's discussion of the issue is where I got most of my information -- that is capable of doing this, if only Android would pass along the signal.)

Then, they have to update the stock dialer to do the voice search and handle the interaction via voice (you say, "dial Joe Schmoe", it says "Dial Joe Schmoe on mobile?", you say "yes") instead of posting a list of possibilities on the screen and having you tap the correct one (pretty useless for what should be a hands-free process).

9. cabinets

cabinets Well-Known Member

Thx. This is my biggest complaint and was nearly a deal breaker. But not quite. ;)

10. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

Yes, it's really the only thing I miss from my Windows Mobile phone (Microsoft Voice Command is a very nice piece of software).

11. jclake

jclake Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My Blackberry Pearl had this feature. I like to think my smartphone is first and foremost a phone. But the Pearl was a better "phone."

12. mowglinz

mowglinz New Member

This issue has been driving me nuts! My wife just bought me (bless her) a BlueAnt S4 (latest firmware v1.6) to work with my N1 (2.2.1 FRG83D). Try as I may I can't get voice dialling over bluetooth to work.

The BlueAnt website claims perfect integration with Android 2.2 onwards but elsewhere I read that this functionality could actually be disabled in Android. BlueAnt cautions that some carriers mess with the firmware and may break bluetooth. So has my FRG83D firmware been fiddled by the carrier or is the BlueAnt claim to work with 2.2 onwards false regardless because it's disabled in the core?

13. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Dunno anything about BlueAnt, but BT dialling works fine on my HP headset.

14. wyat

wyat New Member

Voice dialing works with my stock N1, not rooted.
    Headset Rocketfish RF-MAB2