Canceling a Verizon line then adding a new line right after for the Razr?

Last Updated:

1. clccheung

clccheung New Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 23, 2011
    Hi all. I hope you guys can help me solve my dilemma.

I am currently out of contract with my Verizon phone(I was elligible to upgrade back in March 2011). I am on a 5 line Family Plan right now - at maximum lines.

My plan was to port my current number to Google Voice, thus cancelling my line with Verizon.
    Then I wanted to take advantage of the 0.01 penny sale with Amazon to add on a new family line with the Razr. Then I would have GV forward all calls to my new Razr.
    Thus I would be canceling then adding a line all within one week.

The upgrade price is $229 but new family line addition would be a 0.01. :mad:

Is this doable?? How soon can I cancel a line, then add a line a couple days after for Verizon? help! I have till the 28th until the sale is over!!

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

Jul 29, 2010

Welcome to AF :D

I moved this thread to the Verizon section of the forums. I don't think they would let you do that, but hopefully some of the VZW gurus here will be able to chime in with more info ;)
  3. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja VIP Member

Feb 10, 2010
    not sure i understand this correctly, you want to port your number to google voice, and then buy the razr from amazon for a penny, and then forward all calls from google voice to your razr... that right?

i know if you do buy the razr from amazon the number they give you must stay on your line for a total of 6 months before you can change it, so forwarding calls to it may work, other than that go for it
    Yeahha likes this.
  4. timelord65

timelord65 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    If your line is out of contract, then you can cancel it anytime. You can also upgrade at the other place for .01 cent. But you'll have to sign a new contract with Verizon and another with the 3rd party dealer.

You can't get out of signing a two year contract. no matter where you buy the phone.