• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cancelling Smartphone Dataplan

EDIT: I CALLED AND GOT IT REMOVED

Posted on ATT forum with no response (no surprise) and if any of you could offer any insight on this issue please let me know!

"I am currently on a family plan with 4 lines (4 smartphones). I am planning on adding a line for my mother-in-law, who will only be using a basic phone (non-smartphone). So I added a smartphone line for her (LG Nitro) and was planning on just putting my sim in the LG and giving her a samsung impression (basic slider phone) and cancelling her data plan. However, I went to the store today and they said I had to keep the data plan on her line for 6 months, even if I put her sim in the basic phone. I had bought the phone for her intending to cancel the data right away, but now I would be on the hook for an additional $90 (6 months at $15/month). Was the rep. at my store just wrong or am I still able to do this?
*The phone was bought directly from AT&T and not any third party retailer*

Ah, this familiar ol' issue! I am not 100% on the 6 month thing (I think this applies to new contracts), but if you have a smartphone on their network, you bet they're gonna make you have a data plan. Swapping a SIM from a smartphone into a non-smartphone always seems to screw something up. Like in your case, mgoblue, they are usually understanding and will remove the data plan and charge for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones