• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Candy5 for zte zmax

Ethanbanker2428

Android Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2015
OK guys this is a candy5 ROM built from the zte zmax. I plan on trying to get this ROM official support by fixing the device tree and maybe the kernel. Thanks to @hroark13 for your device tree,kernel, and I may have borrowed your script ;) also thanks to the candy5 team as they helped too. There should be any issues I've noticed so far but if you want me to take a look at an issue I will but only after its been confirmed my multiple people or can be reproduced by me. Once again I am not responsible for anything that happens. You do this at your own risk. Also this is all built from source. If there's anything I need to do let me know

Rom: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347804972
MD5: cbbfb6605f94a52f9316389bec8166f7

Gapps: I use these https://github.com/cgapps/vendor_google/raw/builds/arm/gapps-5.1-2015-06-02-15-19.zip
If you have issues with mega open it in desktop mode. Also expect AOSPA-L eventually but hopefully soon.

R/W Switcher: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347804974
MD5: 27e4daadae6eb91fd52411a1d399b0dd

R/W Switcher Restore: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347804973
MD5: 02d139bda4e0c054859e997a7520190e

CHANGELOG:
1.laid the groundwork for ota updates hopefully coming soon.
2.built in BankerMOD kernel which will help improve performance
3.resynced with the latest cadny5 repo
4. fixed auto brightness and maybe notification light. to get notification light to maybe work disable and reenable it. thanks to @isaacj87

NEW: YOu need xposed to fix the issue of no recents panel. theres no fix for this

Switched to Android file host for you guys thanks to @Masterchief87

IF YOU WANT TO DONATE PLEASE PM ME. I COULD USE THE FULL VERSION OF FLASHIFY ;)

Last edited:
OK guys this is a candy5 ROM built from the zte zmax. I plan on trying to get this ROM official support by fixing the device tree and maybe the kernel. Thanks to @hroark13 for your device tree,kernel, and I may have borrowed your script ;) also thanks to the candy5 team as they helped too. There should be any issues I've noticed so far but if you want me to take a look at an issue I will but only after its been confirmed my multiple people or can be reproduced by me. Once again I am not responsible for anything that happens. You do this at your own risk. Also this is all built from source. If there's anything I need to do let me know

Rom: https://mega.nz/#!GAlRSQQA!cxbER8RE2DA7dixzbNV6PzCYPhkk9Bq3hVnxVFdWrvQ

Gapps: I use these https://github.com/cgapps/vendor_google/raw/builds/arm/gapps-5.1-2015-06-02-15-19.zip
If you have issues with mega open it in desktop mode. Also expect AOSPA-L soon.

Also if you want to donate pm me. Maybe if enough people donate I'll have enough for a better computer which means more roms

Upvote 0
well this rom works fine just like pac and carbon i see nothing special anymore with these roms , they all do the same crap lpl no offense for your work , but these all seem to be the same .
Ok I'll test it out but I see what you're saying how they're all doing the same things that's what I thought too so now and making a Paranoid Android which will hopefully have more features

Upvote 0
well found a problem that was big for me at least the display wouldnt shut off . i tried to find it in settings to turn off , put it at 15 sec 1 min and so on it wouldnt shut the screen off . so have to go back to rom
Works fine for me? Its by default at 2 mins but I put it to 15 second and it works

Upvote 0
well this rom works fine just like pac and carbon i see nothing special anymore with these roms , they all do the same crap lpl no offense for your work , but these all seem to be the same .

well what is so special about it that it is Ethans first ROM he built by source on his own, with just a little help, so yeah it is special, I am sure he was excited about it, hope your comment did not kill his excitement

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well what is so special about it that it is Ethans first ROM he built by source on his own, with just a little help, so yeah it is special, I am sure he was excited about it, hope your comment did not kill his excitement
No I was excited. Its still a cool acheivement but they all seem to have the same features. Aospa is going well it causes bootloops but it builds with no modifications to the device tree.

Upvote 0
i dint mean anythng bad by it :/ i ment by the features these roms all have , in 5.1.......in 4.4.4. there all diffrnt but seems like in lollipop they all the same just with a difrnt name ,

Upvote 0
i dint mean anythng bad by it :/ i ment by the features these roms all have , in 5.1.......in 4.4.4. there all diffrnt but seems like in lollipop they all the same just with a difrnt name ,
Dont worry man I know what you mean. Its true. Aospa has different features. I know you didn't mean it offensively

Upvote 0
You must not be looking close enough because carbon and PAC both have stuff that cm does not have and carbon has stuff that PAC does not.

Upvote 0
Awesome work Ethan. Also congrats on this being your first ROM! I decided to install to rep it for you :p so far no problems.
I've only noticed one issue. Its minor and its that there seems to be a blank notification in the notification drawer. Its minor and I probably won't fix till after I get aospa running. That's where all my time is

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones