Cannot add custom wallpaperSupport

Last Updated:

1. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Odd issue I've found - I can't add a custom wallpaper. It tells me it's changed it, but nothing actually happens. I can change between HTC wallpapers just fine. I've tried, jpeg, PNG, various different resolutions (Including screen resolution and the wallpaper resolution of 960x800)...I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. Desire D

Desire D Well-Known Member

Does sound a strange one, no weird characters in the image name or anything is there? everyone I've ever tried has worked first time, sorry not much use.

Are you using a non-standard ROM?

3. Phenomenological

Standard ROM, no unusual characters in the name. I searched both the forum and google and couldn't come up with anything.

4. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

have you tried doing it from the menu/settings/customisation way, as well as the menu/wallpaper/photos way?

5. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Does it let you use a photo at all??

6. Phenomenological

Yep tried both ways, same result.

Nope, even using the stock photos on the phone it says it ahs changed it but does nothing.

7. nacatomi

100th post :p Does that make me a member now I wonder?

I'm going to try the age old, tried and tested.

"Have you tried turning it off and back on again?"

8. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

I'm probably completely on the wrong track here but have you tried saving your existing scene before you change the wallpaper. I'm wondering if the phone is trying to revert to the original scene because there are some unsaved changes.

I find that if I power off the phone without saving my current scene first, when I switch it back on it has reverted to the old wallpaper I was using weeks ago.

9. partridge

partridge Well-Known Member

How about starting with the Blank scene, any joy there? If not, it is a weird one

10. Phenomenological

Good idea, gave it a try but no joy I'm afraid.

Nope still wouldn't change even on a blank scene. I'm thoroughly foxed.

11. Vonph

Vonph Active Member

Not ideal, but can you save an image as the same filename as one of the HTC wallpapers, in the same folder (either replacing the HTC image, or rename it first)?

12. g4rvd4

g4rvd4 Well-Known Member

Wow this definitely is weird!
    I don't normally suggest this to anybody but you might have to do a hard reset, and if even that doesnt work, maybe consider returning the phone.

Afterthought: Is it carrier branded or locked? Do you have operator bloat ware?
    Try a different ROM if you aren't bothered about warranty and don't want to return it.

13. Phenomenological

Got the bugger! It works if I navigate to the image using a file manager then click menu and set it as wallpaper that way. Odd that it doesn't work the normal way, but at least I now have a workaround. Thanks all for your suggestions :)

14. nacatomi

good stuff, glad you got it sorted

15. Dogmeat

Dogmeat Member

Sorry if I'm necroing here, but I think I might have an idea as to why it's doing that with the wallpaper. When you go through the menu to change the wallpaper, are you choosing to navigate to the picture with a downloaded file manager? Because I had this exact problem and it turned out that it would set the wallpaper fine if I did it using the default Photos app rather than the file manager app I downloaded. Don't know why, possibly because the downloaded app doesn't have as extensive control over the system when activated by another app or something? Anyways I'm hoping that clears it up for you, if you're having the same issue I was.

dj.GETAFIX likes this.
  16. Phenomenological

That's actually an interesting theory actually. When I try to add a wallpaper from the homescreen it does indeed go through OI File Manager.

17. Ginner

Ginner Member

I had the same problem. When I was selecting wallpapers it was defaulting to using Astro to browse for the file.

If I just went into Photos and selected the file it loaded it OK.

Can someone remind me where you reset the apps that have been selected to open up directories for things like this.

18. Ginner

Ginner Member

No worries. Found it (shoulda looked harder):
    go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications
    then select the "Astro" application
    then clear "Launch by Defaults"

19. dj.GETAFIX

dj.GETAFIX Well-Known Member

intresting thread this one...
    iv not had any problems so far but after reading the posts and the possible cause, it has opened my eyes to the fact that downloading some apps can
    change the way certain systems work and affect some sytems that you would take for granted worked independently.... thanks everyone for this intresting insight ;)

20. TimAn

TimAn Member

I have HTC Desire with 2.2 from [ROM] [2.10.405.2] Rooted Official HTC Android 2.2 (FroYo) ROM - xda-developers. Everything worked fine until I deleted HTC Sense data. What a mistake... I lost my screen and icons and I can't change wallpaper.
    First, there are no HTC wallpapers at all. Second, I can't set another wallpaper from gallery. When I try with Set as Wallpaper from the file itself, I have an error message: application Gallery stopped unexpectedly.