• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot be able to move apps on external SD card.

hkhan94

Lurker
Feb 11, 2014
Hi,
I am Hassan,

I am unable to move apps from my phone (LG Optimus E-970 AT&T) internal storage to external SD card storage.

Whenever I tried to move the apps, but I don't see the 'Move to SD' card option in the applications menu. So unable to move apps to SD card.

I tried several apps for doing this 'Moving' job.
But when I use this app called 'Apps Mgr III' (can be found on google play),
it says that my device does not have a real primary external storage, or the primary external storage is emulated. Moving apps to SD function cannot be supported by this (my) device.

Why is this saying this? What does it means by 'Emulated SD card' ?

I have Kingston 32 GB microSD card already inserted on my device.

I will appreciate your assistance.

Thanks
Hassan Khan

1) Someone decided to save part of internal storage as "simulated SD card storage" and make that the primary "SD card". Apps that can only save to the primary SD card can only save to that internal storage. That "simulated SD card storage" is your "emulated SD card". It's not a card, it's just an area of internal storage that's
emulating" am SD card.

2) Most apps can't be run from external storage - that's just the way computers work. Even with those that can be run from external storage, the computer is still going to be looking for them where they were installed - in internal storage. So there has to be a link in internal storage to their place in external storage.

External storage was designed to store data - pictures, music, videos. That someone figured out how to put an app there and link to it so we'd have a little more room is nice, but we're eating the icing and thinking it's the cake. It's not. A phone with 1GB of internal storage still has about 1GB of internal storage. A little bet more than 1GB, but it's never going to run like a phone with 32GB of internal storage, it'll limp long like phone that has 1GB of internal storage and a half-decent cane.

Upvote 0
1) Someone decided to save part of internal storage as "simulated SD card storage" and make that the primary "SD card". Apps that can only save to the primary SD card can only save to that internal storage. That "simulated SD card storage" is your "emulated SD card". It's not a card, it's just an area of internal storage that's
emulating" am SD card.

2) Most apps can't be run from external storage - that's just the way computers work. Even with those that can be run from external storage, the computer is still going to be looking for them where they were installed - in internal storage. So there has to be a link in internal storage to their place in external storage.

External storage was designed to store data - pictures, music, videos. That someone figured out how to put an app there and link to it so we'd have a little more room is nice, but we're eating the icing and thinking it's the cake. It's not. A phone with 1GB of internal storage still has about 1GB of internal storage. A little bet more than 1GB, but it's never going to run like a phone with 32GB of internal storage, it'll limp long like phone that has 1GB of internal storage and a half-decent cane.
Is there no solution about the issue for moving the apps from internal storage to external storage?

I have a Dany G4 tablet pc and it came with external micro sd card (in the box), whenever I download apps on my tablet, it automatically notify me whether to move it to sd card or not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones