• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot Exit Silent Mode

mwmitch

Lurker
Oct 8, 2010
I have a Captivate I was running with out of the box software. I installed a profile timer to control sound (mainly because of the "fully charged" notification going off of a night). Since I installed it, I have not been able to get my phone out of Silent Mode.If I long-press power to get the Phone Options menu and Silent Mode is enabled, then I disable it, I get the Silent Mode icon in the notification bar and Silent Mode in Settings is checked, but shows as "Off" in Phone Options. If I turn off Silent Mode in Settings, then it shows as off in Settings, but "On" in Phone Options. Because of this, the phone is always silent. I did a hard reset, but that did not straighten it out. I've also tried a couple of different widgets to force it to ring or vibrate, but I'd like to actually get the problem resolved. I even did the upgrade to Froyo 2.2 to see if that would fix it, assuming a whole new firmware would straighten it out. It worked until I restarted the phone, but then went back to the out of sync Silent Mode settings.Does anyone have any suggestions?Thanks, Mark

I have a Captivate I was running with out of the box software. I installed a profile timer to control sound (mainly because of the "fully charged" notification going off of a night). Since I installed it, I have not been able to get my phone out of Silent Mode.If I long-press power to get the Phone Options menu and Silent Mode is enabled, then I disable it, I get the Silent Mode icon in the notification bar and Silent Mode in Settings is checked, but shows as "Off" in Phone Options. If I turn off Silent Mode in Settings, then it shows as off in Settings, but "On" in Phone Options. Because of this, the phone is always silent. I did a hard reset, but that did not straighten it out. I've also tried a couple of different widgets to force it to ring or vibrate, but I'd like to actually get the problem resolved. I even did the upgrade to Froyo 2.2 to see if that would fix it, assuming a whole new firmware would straighten it out. It worked until I restarted the phone, but then went back to the out of sync Silent Mode settings.Does anyone have any suggestions?Thanks, Mark

First, welcome!

>>> I did a hard reset, but that did not straighten it out.

Like in a back-to-stock, out-of-the-box factory reset? And it's still silent?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the welcome. I did a hard reset by shutting down and powering on while holding down the lower volume button, then choosing reset data and reset internal sd. I also used Odin to do a master reset.
Every time it went through the out of the box configuration setup. It seems like the problem kicks in when the Phone Options menu populates. If I long-press power as soon as it comes up, I only get power off as an option. If I wait for the system to fully load so it adds silent mode and flight mode, it always adds silent mode as on.

Upvote 0
Same problem. Still on Eclair 2.1 ud 1. No idea what I changed but am always fiddling things. Could soft reset and ringer worked but phone app locked up several times requiring system prompted shutdown of app. When ringer went silent again, the phone app worked. One of the app managers reflected crashes in the native phone app but no other process. Finally just went thru all settings, set and unset many or most, and when I tried again, ringer worked. ??????????? Not sure how this contributes but there it is. Email to Samsung pending.

Upvote 0
PROBLEM SOLVED ! NO COST !
I saw this suggestion in another forum and it WORKS, so I'm passing it on !
Set the global notifications to SILENT.
Set the notification on Gmail to any ringtone, NOT DEFAULT.
Set the notification on messaging to any ringtone, NOT DEFAULT.

You'll still have a tone when you 1st plug the phone in to the charger, but NO tone when it's fully charged.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones