Support Cannot find files associated with ringtones list

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Legomaniac, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Legomaniac

Legomaniac Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Hello everyone,

I recently got a droid and have been loving everything about it.

I have noticed something interedting however. I dowloaded a file to use as a ringtone, and got it to work just fine, however I somehow, while not paying attention, duplicated the ringtone and now there are two identical tones in the ringtone list.

I figured it would be easy enough to get rid of one by deleting its cooresponding file, so I used astro file manager to search the root directory " / " for the name of the ringtone. I made sure the search all sub directories button was checked but it came up with nothing.

Are the ringtones stored in a location astro can't browse? If so, how do I find where they are so I can delete this pesky duplicate?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Legomaniac

Advertisement
  2. warrior21

warrior21 Active Member

Mar 10, 2010
    NY
    Did you look in the media folder? There is a folder in there labeled audio and inside there are two folders. One is for ringtones and the other is for notifications

3. Legomaniac

Legomaniac Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Just to double check I looked in the /system/media/audio/ringtones folder and neither of the offending files were there...

Any other ideas?

4. warrior21

warrior21 Active Member

Mar 10, 2010
    NY
    Sorry I don't. If it was saved as a ringtone and it's not in the media folder or the download folder I'm not sure where they would be. Although my media folder doesn't list all of mine and I can't locate the alarm clock sounds either. Hopefully someone will chime in with an answer for you

5. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Male
    Driver
    Ohio
    Don't look in /system, only stock ringtones go there. It will be sdcard/media/audio/ringtones. Also, depending on what program you used to download it, it may be in a folder named for that app. I know Zedge and Mabilo Ringtones both use their own folders on the sdcard to store the audio files, I'm sure others probably do as well.

6. Legomaniac

Legomaniac Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Well, unfortunately there is no such directory on my sdcard

I tried searching all of my sd card (both with astro file manager and on my pc) and the files simply aren't there. I even made sure when checking on my pc that hidden files were set to be shown, and the definitely aren't there.

I used the web browser to download the tones, so I checked the "downloads" directory and the files weren't there either.

So the two offending ringtones are obviously somewhere on the phone's memory (which makes the situation a little more dire, as there are no room for dupes with only 256 mb to spare)

Thanks for the ideas so far! I appreciate the help.

7. Wobbly

Wobbly Member

May 31, 2010
    Just reading the posts above it would seem that the file systems are different for the same phone, for example I dont have a system/media folder! Anyway I found the downloaded files in a folder that related to the name of the market vendor, deleted them but the file name still remained in the ringtone list. after an hours digging around I wondered if a phone reboot might get rid of them - it did! just power off your phone and restart.... worked for me