• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cannot get rid of malware trojan

Amaanael

Lurker
Aug 9, 2012
Hello everyone,
I've encountered a nasty problem on my SE Xperia mini. I have Lookout app installed and today it found a trojan on my device - GoManag (Google Search (Enhanced)), which, according to webroot.com blog, can read text messages, uninstall security apps, download and install APKs, delete adresses, blacklist numbers etc... The problem is that everytime I try to remove it the phone just says "Uninstall not succesful".
What should I do? I'm quite freaked out.
The phone isn't rooted.

Thank you for any advice!

I got the same message from Lookout this morning. Like you, I can't uninstall it, nor can I find it in files, which I guess is what a trojan would do. Online searches give a trojan warning from years ago about the same thing. And a condom ad, but that was expected.

I just installed Avast, and scans from it find no problem. either it's a false positive from Lookout, or really effective malware.

I've sent an email to Lookout, but haven't heard anything from them yet.

Upvote 0
I also got a message from Lookout saying that "Google Search Enhanced" was chinese malware. I can't uninstall it. I down loaded Norton Mobile Security Lite from Cnet and ran scans and it didn't find any malware.

I emailed Google and Lookout and am waiting for a reply. Frustrating. I disabled wireless and internet by putting phone in flight mode till I figure this out.

Upvote 0
I also got this warning today. The software and version looks like the default install:

Google Partner Setup 2.1-update1 10/7/2010 5:11:36 PM
Google Search 2.1-update1 10/7/2010 12:11:36 PM
Google Search (Enhanced) 2.1-update1 10/7/2010 12:11:36 PM
Google Settings Provider 2.1-update1 10/7/2010 12:11:36 PM

So it may be a false positive from Lookout. I will follow this post to see what develops.

Upvote 0
The only thing I've been able to find out is that it's only Lookout that seems to be reporting this at the moment.

Have you had a recent update of the virus signatures? Seems the likeliest explanation for why all of these reports should suddenly start. That wouldn't tell you whether it's real or not - all AV occasionally throws false positives, but an update could by definition detect something that was previously undetected. As the GoManag trojans don't seem particularly new you might think it unlikely they're only now being flagged, but that is not a guarantee by any means.

Webroot's blog is most vocal on GoManag, so maybe you could install the free version of their software and see whether it identifies a problem with your phone?

Upvote 0
Hi all...

My wife and I have the same phone, I had Lookout installed, my wife hadnt. I got the virlus alert 2 hours ago, got worried, and havde done this:

Installed Lookout on my wifes phone, and that was the newest version, scanned the phone and got the message: "NO PROBLEMS and NO ALERTS"...

Then I updated my own Lookout and scanned the phone... GOT THE SAME REPORT: NO PROBLEMS AND NO ALERTS....

Just for your info... Have a great evening..

Upvote 0
Hi all...

I have just recieved this from Lookout Support:

Ryan Martis, Aug 09 10:52 am (PDT):
Hi lookout,
I'm sorry for the confusion. Our latest set of malware detection signatures went out to our users last night (August 8, 2012). Unfortunately it misidentifies the app "Google Enhanced Search" as the trojan 'GGSearch'. If you've received this warning please ignore it - we will be shipping a new set of detection signatures in the next 24 hours, at the latest.
Thanks for using Lookout!
Ryan Martis,
The Lookout Team

Reactions: kev315 and Hadron
Upvote 0
I remembered that I had actually updated my Lookout a couple days back, so seeing reports of people updating theirs and solving the issue I went to the market but found nothing new for me. I installed Avast and it found no issues. So I uninstalled both Lookout and Avast and reinstalled Lookout and now the problem is clear. Sounds like they'll clear the issue eventually though based on the above post.

Kind of a PITA but one good thing out of this hassle is that I found this site /cheer

Reactions: Hadron and Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Just got a reply from lookout team, read post below, hope this helps:)
I'm sorry for the confusion. Our latest set of malware detection signatures went out to our users last night (August 8, 2012). Unfortunately it misidentifies the app "Google Enhanced Search" as the trojan 'GGSearch'. If you've received this warning please ignore it - we will be shipping a new set of detection signatures in the next 24 hours, at the latest.

Thanks for using Lookout!

Ryan Martis,
The Lookout Team

Reactions: Hadron and Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones