• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cannot get to ClockWorkMod recovery screen

phillygator

Jan 19, 2010
I rooted the phone last night using unrevoked, I am pretty sure it worked as I now have superuser permission in my app tray and I show S-off atop the HBOOT menu.

However, when I try the next step to do nandroid backup through the HBOOT screen by clicking on recovery, all I get is a black screen with thin white lines running along the right and left borders. The only thing I can do from here is pull the battery and reboot.

I have checked and double checked the drivers, they are installed properly. I have also tried reinstalling the reflash multiple times.

Any help would be much appreciated.

your solution is here:
www.dougpiston.com
scroll down you will see: Working recovery for the slcd incredible
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is an issue with the Slcd screens and the current recovery image. But don’t worry our friend Adrynalyne has made his super scroll recovery that also supports that Slcd screen. As long as you have s-off you can flash this through hboot and carry on about your happy hacking ways. Download this file

http://dougpiston.com/files/Recovery…MG_cwm_mod.zip

MD5: 0C000258F92D981861BADAA42D09E922

Make sure your your sd is formatted to FAT32.(Backup your sd and format it if needed) Rename the file so it is PB31IMG and put on the root of sd card. (Root means not in any folders)

Boot into hboot by powering down the device and power it back up by pressing the Vol- and power at the same time. The phone should then ask you if you want to update recovery. Select yes. After that it will ask if you want to reboot. You can say yes, but if you say no you can boot into recovery and then make your back up.

Whats that you say? You don’t want to use Hboot? Fine then. Simply extract the file above. Open the root tool again and select file>custom recovery. Then select the recovery.img from the extracted zip. Then plug in phone, enable usb debugging and re run root tool.

All credit for this file goes to Adrynalyne. I merely borrowed it and hosted it

Upvote 0
Hello, I am new to the droid thing and rooting so please forgive my ignorance. I recently got the Incredible and rooted through unrevoked3, which should have clockworkmod within it. I have repeatedly tried to make a nandroid backup before i use any other ROMs but after selecting recovery mode in the boot screen i get a black screen flanked by white lines. Nothing happens no matter how long i let it go, and need to pull the battery to restore it. Please help, thanks

Upvote 0
I am newly rooted using the newest unrevoked tool. When I try to get into the HBOOT/recovery mode (usually hold power and volume up), the phone vibrates 3 times and nothing happens. I have to remove the battery to get it to turn on again.
Is this the correct tool I need? I do not know if I have an SLCD screen or where to look.

Upvote 0
Hello, I am new to the droid thing and rooting so please forgive my ignorance. I recently got the Incredible and rooted through unrevoked3, which should have clockworkmod within it. I have repeatedly tried to make a nandroid backup before i use any other ROMs but after selecting recovery mode in the boot screen i get a black screen flanked by white lines. Nothing happens no matter how long i let it go, and need to pull the battery to restore it. Please help, thanks

The fix has been outlined in this thread, you just need to read the whole thing. Go back and read from the top.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones