1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Cannot Hard Reset PhoneSupport

1. hargie12

hargie12 Member

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting in this forum and I'm in dire need of help. I have a Droid Razr Maxx and I cannot hard rest the phone. I have been on the phone with every level of Verizon technical assistance and Motorola technical assistance. I even spent 4 hours in a Verizon store and they couldn't help me. I must return the faulty phone but I refuse because all of my personal information is still on the phone. I have tried using keys, system prompts, removing the partition and even connecting via USB to wipe the disc. I have to return the phone or be charged $500. After speaking with Corporate customer care they have advised me that I must return the phone because they have done all they can do on their end. I am wondering if anyone has any advice. The individual at Verizon said he has never heard of this and has worked there for over a decade. If I need to post a YouTube video or explain in more detail, please let me know.

Thank you for your time,
    Hank

Advertisement
  2. carracerz14

carracerz14 Well-Known Member

Settings>privacy>factory data reset.

That doesn't work either?
    Thom likes this.
  3. festerw

festerw Well-Known Member

4. hargie12

hargie12 Member

I have tried both methods and still no results. All of the information stays with the phone regardless of which reset method I choose.
  5. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

I had a similar issue ... I just replaced both 2.5T SCSI drives on my workstation and had to return them to Dell. What about all my data?

The repair person suggested I take them to an audio repair shop and have them demagnetized.

I concluded that Dell already had access to all my data during the repair process so I just returned them.

If this is a route you choose I would ask permission from Verizon before doing it ... and get something in writing.

... Thom
    hargie12 likes this.
  6. hargie12

hargie12 Member

I am trying to upload a video to youtube right now to illustrate the problem. A rep from Verizon Called mid record so I didn't show every option..will post in a little bit
  7. hargie12

hargie12 Member

Thanks Thom Little, one corporate fellow suggested I try and manually crash the phone but I am not the most technically proficient guy on these phones. I will definitely consider you advice. Thanks
  8. Thom

I would try it with a valid SIM card installed.

... Thom
  9. carracerz14

carracerz14 Well-Known Member

I would just say screw it and put a facial lock on it and send it back. Honestly all they are going to do is throw it away if there is a serious problem with the phone, maybe repair it but I don't really think you have anything to worry about
  10. hargie12

hargie12 Member

I have tried it with a SIM card previously to no avail. Unfortunately when it comes to smart phones I'm not so tech savvy. I apologize for my naivit
  11. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Crazy!

Not knowing how daring you feel like being but you could try using the fast boot files to flash it back to stock (but to be honest you would probably be better off removing your personal data manually and shipping it back).
    hargie12 likes this.
  12. Thom

Another solution ... turn on encryption ... it will make all the data unreadable without the PIN that you will install and tell to no one.

Settings | Security & Screen Lock | Data encryption

If you go this route do it as the last thing.

Pull the SD-Ext card before encrypting.

Once you turn it on you should assume that you will never turn it off. It will require you to set a PIN and provide that PIN to unlock. It will constantly "get in the way".

So ... only as the last step.

... Thom
    hargie12 likes this.
  13. ~aRBy~

~aRBy~ Well-Known Member

They already know there is something wrong with the phone, so just go through and backup and delete all your personal info manually.

Then just send it back before they charge you the $500.
  14. Thom

Hank ...

What did you decide to do?

... Thom
  15. hargie12

hargie12 Member

Hey guys, I kinda stepped away from the situation for the weekend and I appreciate all the ideas that you came up with. To ARBY--> I have manually deleted all the files and they still come back after reset so that didn't work. To Kelmar---> I was feeling pretty courageous until I got to the dos-prompt and got scared that I might brick the phone seeing as this was the first time I had ever attempted something like that. To Thom---> I am finally home tonight and I'm going to have a look at the encryption. As you stated in an earlier post, I have been contemplating just taking it to an audio shop and finding the biggest baddest magnet they have and going to town and telling Verizon it wont turn on anymore. Thanks again fro everyones thought and time you have put into my question!
  16. Thom

This is a mysterious statement to me. How are you attempting to delete the files? I thought the suggestion was to use the Files app and manually delete the data you want to protect.

Since you are returning it anyway why do you care if it is bricked? Consider this as a a great way to try something new that has no down side.

For the demagnetizing route ... I would tell Verizon what I was doing and go forward only with their approval. If they disapprove, ask them what they require you to do under the circumstance.

From where all this is going ... I recommend ...

Delete the data that you want protected. If you can't delete it turn on encryption.

... Thom
  17. hargie12

hargie12 Member

I'm Back,

I don't know if you were trying to be condescending or supportive Thom...

I have done everything that my limited capacities have allowed. I even got brave and tried THIS and it didn't work. All the info is still on the phone!!!! I have tried the data encryption and after reboot it reverts back to the what was going on before. I guess I will have to go the magnet route...?
  18. Thom

I was trying to help.

If you turned on encryption it should require a PIN to permit access. After entering the PIN it will look like it did before you encrypted.

If encryption is on then you are done ... just turn in the phone ... the only way anyone can see the data is by entering the PIN and only you have it.

... Thom
  19. hargie12

hargie12 Member

Thanks Thom,

The problem is I put in the pin and then shut down the phone and... It reverts right back as if I never did the encryption. I don't know what I can do? All I know if I am much more knowledgeable about these phones now!
  20. hargie12

hargie12 Member

If you would like to see a video I'll be more than happy to post one?
  21. Thom

Encryption is a learning experience for me also ... it will not do what you need ... for an odd reason. It will only encrypt new data that is added and will not touch the existing data. The thread at ... http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-bionic/439924-encryption-issue.html ... spells this out.

If you are comfortable using the Files app you could locate and delete the data that is sensitive and of concern to you.

If you are not comfortable using the Files app then the demagnetization approach is probably all you have left if Verizon approves. If Verizon does not approve ask them for a solution. (It will lilke;y damage the phone).
    ... Thom
    hargie12 likes this.
  22. hargie12

hargie12 Member

When I get off of work tonight I will try to download the Files app and see if I can get any long term resolution. The only reason I've been bugging on here so much is Verizon has told me "it's the end of the road" and I must return the phone. Luckily I was recording the call in case there was technical info that I might have missed. Anyways, thanks again and I'll post and let you know if the app worked.
  23. Thom

I was referring to the Files app that came Prue-installed on the phone. It should be one of the listed apps in the app drawer.

... Thom
  24. ~aRBy~

~aRBy~ Well-Known Member

You would also have to make sure to have all the